What You Will Do:
University of Maryland Rehabilitation & Orthopedic Institute is the largest provider of inpatient rehabilitation care in the state of Maryland. UM Rehabilitation & Orthopedic Institute provides specialized rehabilitation services and has served the community for over 110 years. At UM Rehab & Ortho, our history of treating patients in the region runs deep. Join our expert staff trained to treat a full range of rehabilitative issues resulting from stroke, spinal cord injuries, traumatic brain injuries and neurological disorders.
Be Part of Something Greater!Job Summary
Under general direction of the Chief of Dentistry and the Dental Practice Coordinator, provides effective chairside assistance, maintenance and administrative duties which help promote efficiency and productivity for the Dentist and Dental Hygienist. Responsibilities/Tasks
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the person assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by personnel so classified.
What You Need to Be Successful:
- Electronic/Paper documentation- Accurately and concisely records patient care along the continuum. Attends required training on electronic documentation. Demonstrates ability to document/enter data correctly in the medical record/EMR verified by chart review.
- Clinical/Technical Skill: Observes radiation safety practices by using lead shielding when appropriate. Modifies positioning and exposure techniques for various age groups from pediatric to adult. Exposes dental radiographs and processes film according to departmental and hospital safety procedures. Hold self-accountable to wear radiation badge above waist. Cleans and disinfects radiographic equipment on a regular basis.
- Communication/ Collaboration- Works effectively with dental team to provide patient care while using customer service skills and promote safety. Uses verbal, interpersonal, and teamwork skills to provide care along with other team members in a cohesive manner. Demonstrates a positive attitude in the work environment.
- Abuse and neglect: Identifies behaviors, objective findings and circumstances that trigger activation of the hospital Abuse and Neglect policy in the dental setting.
- Emergency Care - provides life saving measures in life threatening situations. Medical Emergency Preparedness - CPR card current.
- Fall Prevention - uses special precautions with patients at risk for injury from falling.
- Infection Control - practices principles of infection control: Standard Precautions and Isolation Precautions.
- Oral Health - promotes oral hygiene and dental health for the patient.
- Vital Signs Monitoring - obtains patient vital signs: temperature and blood pressure.
- Demonstrates proper scrubbing, gowning, and gloving in the Operating Room Setting according to AORN guidelines.
- Demonstrates Aseptic Technique: Principles and Practices according to the AORN guidelines.
- Assures labeling of all syringes and containers of medication/liquids on the sterile field.
- A minimum of 2 years progressive work experience as a Dental Associate. Knowledge of basic principles and practices of dental assisting.
- Completion of approved Dental Assistant Program.
- Associates of Arts Degree is preferred.
- Effective organizational skills are required for effective clinical operations.
- Able to perform duties simultaneously and function in stressful situations.
- Ability to read and follow instructions from the Dentist accurately, timely and effectively.
- Highly effective written and verbal communication skills are required to work with all levels of staff and to provide instruction to patients regarding dental care.
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Based on Job Title, Location and Skills
Apply to this job.
Think you're the perfect candidate?
Help us improve CareerBuilder by providing feedback about this job:
Report this job
Report this Job
Once a job has been reported, we will investigate it further. If you require a response, submit your question or concern to our
Trust and Site Security Team
Job ID: 67620
privacy and protection,
when applying to a job online, never give your social security number to a prospective employer, provide credit card or bank account information, or perform any sort of monetary transaction.
By applying to a job using CareerBuilder you are agreeing to comply with and be subject to the CareerBuilder
Terms and Conditions
for use of our website. To use our website, you must agree with the
Terms and Conditions
and both meet and comply with their provisions.
The University of Maryland Medical System (UMMS) was created in 1984 when the state-owned University Hospital became a private, nonprofit organization. It has evolved into a multi-hospital system with academic, community and specialty service missions reaching every part of the state and beyond.
View the full profile
UMMS is a national and regional referral center for trauma, cancer care, neurocare, cardiac care, women's and children's health and physical rehabilitation. It also has one of the world's largest kidney transplant programs, as well as scores of other programs that improve the physical and mental health of thousands of people daily.
The Medical System generates nearly $3.5 billion in economic activity in Maryland. It has 15,000 employees, approximately 2,300 licensed beds, 115,000 annual patient admissions and gross patient revenues of $2 billion.
The hospitals and health systems that comprise UMMS are:
University of Maryland Medical Center- One of the nation's oldest teaching hospitals, this 816-bed facility -- located in downtown Baltimore -- is home to the University of Maryland Marlene and Stewart Greenebaum Cancer Center, the R Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center, the University of Maryland Children's Hospital and the University of Maryland Division of Transplantation.
University of Maryland Medical Center Midtown Campus - This 208-bed teaching hospital offers a full spectrum of health care for more than 110,000 people annually. University of Maryland Medical Center Midtown Campus has been providing superior and accessible community health care in West Baltimore and Midtown for more than a century.
Mt. Washington Pediatric Hospital - This 102-bed pediatric and rehabilitation hospital, located in northwest Baltimore, provides specialty medical care to infants and children with complex medical needs.
UM Baltimore Washington Medical Center - This 319-bed community hospital, located between Baltimore and Annapolis in Anne Arundel County, offers a wide variety of services and was recently named a "Top 100" hospital for intensive care outcomes by Thomson Reuters.
UM Charles Regional Medical Center - Located in La Plata, Maryland, this 110-bed community hospital, along with an Ambulatory Surgery Center and OB/GYN Centers in Waldorf and La Plata, serve patients in Charles County and the surrounding areas of southern Maryland.
UM Rehabilitation and Orthopaedics Institute - This 141-bed facility (formerly Kernan Hospital), located in Woodlawn, is the state's largest rehabilitation and orthopaedic hospital serving both adults and children. It also houses the University of Maryland Complementary Medicine Program.
UM St. Joseph Medical Center - This 232-bed nonprofit, regional medical center, located in Towson, Md., became a part of the University of Maryland Medical System on December 1, 2012. It features institutes for heart, cancer and orthopaedic care, and offers a full range of clinical diagnostic and treatment services.
UM Shore Regional Health - Shore Health System became UM Shore Regional Health on July 1, 2013, and consists of the following facilities: UM Shore Medical Center at Chestertown; UM Shore Medical Center at Dorchester and UM Shore Medical Center at Easton, as well as the UM Shore Emergency Center at Queenstown.
Upper Chesapeake Health System - In July 2009, UMMS announced a strategic affiliation with Upper Chesapeake Health System that is expected to lead to a full merger. Upper Chesapeake Health includes Upper Chesapeake Medical Center in Bel Air and Harford Memorial Hospital in Havre de Grace. The leading health care system and largest private employer in Harford County, Upper Chesapeake Health offers a broad range of healthcare services, technology, and facilities to the residents of northeastern Maryland.