The jobholder will be responsible for the development and management of the company’s overall Rail program and strategy by managing the carrier and supplier relationships and ensuring that all KPIs, SLAs, and contractual obligations are met. The jobholder will be responsible for the procurement, negotiation and contracting of rail rates with providers as well as negotiate railcar lease agreements. The jobholder will handle the quoting of rail freight expenses to sales and marketing for new or potential business while also providing market intelligence for selection of the best strategy.
The jobholder will also be responsible for analyzing and entering rail rates into the company’s TMS system, will manage the company’s daily processes of transportation services for both outbound finished goods and inbound raw material movement via rail and will work with cross-functional teams, Supply Chain, Operations, Sales & Marketing, Finance to resolve service issues, identify opportunities to improve cost, efficiency and service to Morton Salt’s Customers.
• Responsible for the development and management of the company’s overall Rail program and strategy.
• Responsible for the day to day rail shipment execution activities, including order management and railcar track and trace functions, bad order car processing, etc.
• Manage the company’s fleet of box and hopper cars in regards to utilization and repairs, to include oversight of preventative maintenance program and billing of cars in/out of shop.
• Provide car tracking to ensure efficiency of car turns and demurrage tracking.
• Work closely with sales and marketing team to timely respond to forecast changes, sales spikes, volumes, and trends on a real time basis and continually review fleet optimization and car requirements.
• Investigate and resolve product quality and service issues.
• Review rail freight bills that do not match with freight expense shown as the expected cost. Make corrections as required. Approve for payment and perform root cause analysis.
• Review and audit maintenance invoices as well as railcar vendor lease invoices and approve for payment.
• Review and monitor & report on supplier performance, car efficiency and cost performance by use of operational and cost metrics.
• Review actual costs vs budget by performing analysis and forecasting as required.
• Develop best practice tools, templates and processes.
• Prepare RFIs, RFPs, and RFQ and lead negotiations with rail providers to achieve competitive rates and mitigate price increases.
• Work with Contract & Control Administrator and Legal as needed to complete contracts.
• Prepare and enter rates and rail routing guides into TMS system accurately and on-time.
• Serve as point of contact for rail providers and internal stakeholders in assigned area of responsibility, related to rail execution and procurement related activities.
• Assist in providing contractual information for freight invoice discrepancies.
• Interface independently with internal and external customers at all levels, including senior leadership.
• Participate in or lead special projects as assigned along with communicating project findings/results to logistics team, manufacturing facilities and others as required.
• Identify, document and report on areas of cost savings opportunities related to logistics on an ongoing basis.
• Participate in various company performance meetings, and be prepared to present results and support Logistics Manager and Sr Director as required.
• Any other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree preferred, with preference towards Business, Logistics, Supply Chain or Operations Management or 5 years of experience in Supply Chain, Operations, Transportation and/or Project Management or 3 years working with rail shipment execution.
• Minimum of three years working with the Class I Railroads.
• Experience with internet-based load management (track and trace) software.
• Familiar with hopper and box rail car transportation equipment along with rail transportation regulatory requirements preferred.
• Experience with SAP, Warehouse Management or Transportation Management systems, Business Warehouse or similar reporting packages, databases and analytical tools highly preferred.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills. Exhibits confidence and ability to interact with various levels both internally & externally.
• Able to work independently as well as across functional or matrix team structures.
• Ability to influence and build consensus around proposed opportunities within and outside of Supply Chain (Transportation, Customer Supply Chain, Sales & Marketing, Finance, Operations, etc.).
• Strong analytical skills with high level of organization, follow through & accuracy. Ability to collect, organize, analyze and disseminate information with attention to detail and accuracy.
• Well-developed relationship-building, problem-solving, decision-making, negotiation, data extraction and analysis.
• Able to prioritize and manage multiple projects simultaneously. Strong track record for execution and follow through when managing critical deadlines.
Warehouse Inventory Management