UnitedHealthcare is a company that's on the rise. We're expanding in multiple directions, across borders and, most of all, in the way we think. Here, innovation isn't about another gadget, it's about transforming the health care industry. Ready to make a difference? Make yourself at home with us and start doing your life's best work.(sm)
The Principal Architect - Clinical Integration and Interoperability role demands the highest level technology and application platform expertise, including collaboration with business partners, business analysts, systems analysts and engineers to define and develop innovative ways to drive clinical interoperability.
In this role, the candidate must be capable to lead and drive complex technical designs/solutions necessary for integration with EMR systems, submitters, HIEs, and internal corporate applications to intake, extract, enrich and distribute data. This is an individual contributor role and the person will be doing hands-on solution development and validation for 50% of time.
They will work with program leaders, technical teams, and other technologists in the development, communication and implementation of the technology architecture and applications plan - including defining the components required to support it and the integration of corporate and business architectures and applications. The candidate is expected to understand the health information technology industry, clinical data vocabularies, and transmission protocols.
You’ll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* from anywhere within United States as you take on some tough challenges.
- Portions of the End to End (E2E) clinical data integration architecture for multiple programs. This will include assisting in writing, refining and communicating design across the program
- Work with and or lead other architects and delivery teams to build solutions via the Optum Big Data platform, Enterprise Service Layer, cloud based services and custom software solutions
- Understand and ensure adherence to enterprise technology standards (e.g. solution patterns, application frameworks, technology roadmaps, capital plans) or follow exception/waiver processes as needed
- Work with multiple teams to define architectural solutions for clinical data intake and distribution
- Analyze and define internal and external customer requirements for clinical data exchange
- Assess financial impact of proposed solutions
- Support UAT (User Acceptance testing) for implemented solutions
- Define and review vendor statements of work, service level agreements and process flows
- Provide technical and data standards subject matter expertise to business team
- Mentor business team on technology solutions and data standards
- Develop, manage and communicate current state and future state architectural models, keeping them aligned to changing business needs and relevant for active technology portfolio management
- Integrate functional and non-functional requirements in High-Level Designs, including balancing technical trade-offs and risk mitigation at the program level
- Contribute to the product roadmap for the product; own the technical roadmap / solution-side roadmaps
- Provide expertise in applications / software evaluation, selection and implementation
- Bring people together to meet common goals using facilitation, negotiation and influencing skills. Build and advance collaborative relationships with business partners, product managers and IT partners
- Hands-on solution development and validation as needed
- Support and steer employees and project teams through efficient design, development, testing, and deploy phases
- Ensure solutions are of high quality, are high performance and are scalable
- Strive to be a thought leader and advanced practitioner in clinical data integration related creative tools and tactics; forward-thinking in understanding the emerging tools, technologies, and business practices and progressive in learning the application of these tools and practices
- Create and provide reporting to program leadership and clients to accurately communicate status, issues, risks, recommendations
- Manage program and partner expectations and relationships
- Ensure necessary quality assurance processes are in implemented and followed
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- 10+ years of experience leading solutions architecture and/or enterprise architecture for data intensive, scalable, high throughput integration platforms and applications leveraging knowledge of industry standards, latest data integration, storage and distribution technologies and engineering practices
- 3+ years of experience with formulating technology strategy, budget, and policies at multiple levels of an organization
- 3+ years of professional experience facilitating and leading integrated solution design, architecture & delivery planning activities across geographically diverse and multi-disciplinary teams
- Knowledge of industry standard patterns, practices and technologies including Microservices and containers, Cloud, message streaming, REST and web services APIs, Big Data, MLAI
- Demonstrated ability to innovate with a deep technical understanding of emerging technologies to address needs and problems of providing services to large and technically progressive organizations
- Proven communication skills including explaining complex concepts effectively to technical and nontechnical audience, negotiation and persuasion, conflict resolution, and presenting to executive levels management
- Proven leadership skills having lead changes in large multi-functional teams and using Agile practices
- If you need to enter a work site for any reason, you will be required to screen for symptoms using the ProtectWell mobile app, Interactive Voice Response (i.e., entering your symptoms via phone system) or similar UnitedHealth Group-approved symptom screener. When in a UnitedHealth Group building, employees are required to wear a mask in common areas. In addition, employees must comply with any state and local masking orders
- 3+ years of clinical data integration or clinical data interoperability experience
- 3+ years of experience in healthcare vertical including EMR, Health Insurance, Acute care, Post-Acute, Health Systems, and HIE
- 2+ years of experience with integration technologies including: Ensemble, Cache, HealthShare or other interoperability platforms such as Mirth, Orion Rhapsody, Cloverleaf, eGate, JCAPS, InterSystems, Optum, etc. Experience with writing business requirements for clinical data applications and data interfaces
- 2+ years of experience with both existing and emerging interoperability standards such as HL7 V2.x, as well as CCD, C - CDA XML V3, IHE profile, FHIR
- 2+ years of experience in industry standard patterns, practices and technologies including Microservices and containers, Cloud, message streaming, REST and web services APIs, Big Data, MLAI
- Experience with complete software development life cycle
- Knowledge of leading Provider EMR systems including Epic, Cerner, GE, Allscripts, Meditech or any other HIE
- Experience in designing EMR, HIE, or other provider or clinical data integration systems
- HEDIS/Stars experience
- Knowledge of Security, Privacy, and PHI/PII concerns
Careers with UnitedHealthcare. Let's talk about opportunity. Start with a Fortune 7 organization that's serving more than 85 million people already and building the industry's singular reputation for bold ideas and impeccable execution. Now, add your energy, your passion for excellence, your near-obsession with driving change for the better. Get the picture? UnitedHealthcare is serving employers and individuals, states and communities, military families and veterans where ever they're found across the globe. We bring them the resources of an industry leader and a commitment to improve their lives that's second to none. This is no small opportunity. It's where you can do your life's best work.(sm)
Colorado Residents Only: The salary range for Colorado residents is $110,200 to $211,700. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. As of the date of this posting, In addition to your salary, UHG offers the following benefits for this position, subject to applicable eligibility requirements: Health, dental, and vision plans; wellness program; flexible spending accounts; paid parking or public transportation costs; 401(k) retirement plan; employee stock purchase plan; life insurance, short-term disability insurance, and long-term disability insurance; business travel accident insurance; Employee Assistance Program; PTO; and employee-paid critical illness and accident insurance.
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Job Keywords: Cloud Architect, Big Data Architect, Architect, Architecture, IT, Clinical Integration, Interoperability, Telecommute, Telecommuting, Telecommuter, Work From Home, Work At Home, Remote