Combine two of the fastest-growing fields on the planet with a culture of performance, collaboration and opportunity and this is what you get. Leading edge technology in an industry that is improving the lives of millions. Here, innovation is not about another gadget; it is about making health care data available wherever and whenever people need it, safely and reliably. There is no room for error. If you are looking for a better place to use your passion and your desire to drive change, this is the place to be. It's an opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
The goal of the Behavioral Health Care Advocate (BHA) role is to help individuals live their lives to the fullest by promoting recovery and resiliency via coordination and collaboration with multiple internal and external partners including consumers and their families/caregivers, medical, behavioral health and clinical network teams. Behavioral Health Care Advocates work with complex and high-risk needs with a goal of engaging the consumer in the treatment process, decreasing their reliance on higher levels of care, helping them to access appropriate community services, and assisting them in improving community tenure.
This is a Behavioral Care Advocate position located in Rhode Island. You will be working with complex cases. We have multiple positions and territories available. Candidates must be licensed in the state of Rhode Island with ability to be in your assigned territory on a daily basis. This will be a telecommute / work from home position.
If you are located in Rhode Island, you will have the flexibility to telecommute* as you take on some tough challenges.
- Utilize advanced clinical skills to engage and motivate Consumers via a recovery, health and wellness-oriented approach
- Assist consumers and their families/caregivers with connections to appropriate psychiatric, medical, and psychosocial referrals and services
- Discharge planning and case management of higher-risk transitioning members
- Identify and remove barriers to procurement, delivery, participation in and success of services
- Provide supportive follow-up, monitoring and education as indicated telephonically
- Partner with designated external providers, programs, entities to address the needs, gaps in care, and recovery goals of complex and high-risk consumers
- Identify and address the needs of members who are consistently high utilizers of services through case conferences and informal communications
- Participate in standing meetings to review performance, identify areas of opportunity, and oversee course for improvements
- Establish and foster positive relationships with medical team, participate in medical-behavioral integration activities and discussions
- Identify high-risk, co-morbid needs of consumers
- Accept referrals via designated processes, collaborate in evaluating available services, and coordinate necessary psychiatric and community referrals, as needed
- Contribute to treatment plan discussions; routinely attend clinical rounds and other meetings with medical partner or external entities, when applicable
- Partner with internal Optum Behavioral Health Services Teams to coordinate a seamless transition for consumers from an inpatient setting to community based services
- Meet all contractual requirements; collaborate early and frequently with other teams in the management of cases stratified as having intensive, complex, and high-risk needs
- Assist in the development of a relevant and consumer-specific aftercare plan
- Comply with all policies, procedures and documentation standards in appropriate systems, tracking mechanisms and databases
- Collaborate with providers to determine acuity of mental health concerns, barriers and progress; coordinate appropriate services
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Independently / Clinically Licensed Master's degree in Psychology, Social Work, Counseling or Marriage or Family Counseling, or Licensed Ph.D., or an RN with 2+ years of experience in behavioral health
- Licenses must be independent / clinical, active and unrestricted for the State of Rhode Island
- 2+ years of experience in a related mental health setting
- Computer / typing proficiency to enter / retrieve data in electronic clinical records; experience with email, internet research, use of online calendars and other software applications
- Designated workspace and access to install secure high speed internet via cable/DSL in home
- Able to commute to Rhode Island
- Experience in an inpatient setting
- Dual diagnosis experience with mental health and substance abuse
- Experience in a community mental health setting
- Experience working in an environment that required coordination of benefits and utilization of multiple groups and resources for patients
- Experience in a managed care environment
- Case management experience
- Experience with the Medicaid/Medicare population
- Bilingual skills (fluency in Spanish/English)
Careers with Optum. Here's the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make the health system work better for everyone. So when it comes to how we use the world's large accumulation of health-related information, or guide health and lifestyle choices or manage pharmacy benefits for millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quo and uncover new ways to serve. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Optum, incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Job Keywords: Case Manager, Care Coordination, Care Advocate, Social Worker, Therapist, Counselor, Mental Health, Behavioral Health, Field, Community Mental Health, Managed Care, Substance Abuse, Inpatient, Medicare, Medicaid, LP, Licensed Psychologist, LICSW, Licensed Independent Clinical Social Worker, LMFT, Licensed Marriage And Family Therapist, LMHC, Licensed Mental Health Counselor, PCNS, Psychiatric Clinical Nurse Specialist, RN, Registered Nurse, Rhode Island, RI, Telecommute, Work From Home