About the Company:
Ensign Services, Inc. (“ESI”) is a subsidiary of The Ensign Group, Inc. whose affiliated entities are considered national leaders in the fast growing post-acute care industry. ESI provides service and support to over 230 facilities in the long term care continuum that employ over 30,000 employees.
ESI is known as the “Service Center” and it provides the facilities and leaders it serves with necessary “back-office” support in areas such as accounting, construction, compliance, human resources, information technology, legal, risk management, and learning management. This structure allows on-site leaders and caregivers to focus squarely on day-to-day care and business issues in their individual operations. What sets ESI apart from other companies is the quality of our most valuable resource - our people. We take our core values of Celebration, Accountability, Passion for Learning, Love One Another, Intelligent Risk Taking, Customer Second, and Ownership (CAPLICO) seriously and strive to provide a work experience that proves it!
About the Opportunity:
We currently seek an experienced employment attorney with the personality and ownership attitude to serve our healthcare clients in the field. Prior employment and labor law experience is necessary; however, ESI places a very high value on intelligence, drive and willingness to learn and grow, making this an excellent opportunity for the up-and-comer who is willing to work hard to become an indispensable member of our team.
As Associate General Counsel, you will join our outstanding legal/risk/regulatory team and serve as a front-line resource for our clients relating to all aspects of employment law.
- Advise HR department, field personnel, and worker’s compensation resources in a broad range of employment matters, including recruiting, hiring, benefits, compensation, employee relations, discipline, terminations, harassment, discrimination, disability, wage and hour compliance, and strategies for managing risk around employment matters
- Perform all aspects of federal and state administrative agency (e.g., DFEH, EEOC, DOL, etc.) dispute process from start to finish, including investigation, drafting position statements, and attending mediations
- Serve as the front line of defense in all pre-litigation employment matters, including demand letter response and communication with opposing counsel
- Manage employment litigation and strategize with outside counsel in relation to same
- Prepare and conduct employment law training programs for human resources and leadership in the client facilities/agencies
- Communicate clearly, concisely and professionally with all levels of management regarding complex employment legal issues
- Work in a fast-paced environment and juggle multiple priorities
- Travel as needed, currently estimated as 35% or less
- Law degree with a license to practice
- A minimum of five years of employment law experience, either as in-house counsel or in a law firm setting
- Healthcare law experience preferred
- Experience in managing and responding to employment claims, including but not limited to allegations filed with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (and state equivalents), Department of Labor Standards Enforcement, Department of Labor, Office of Federal Contract Compliance Program, and other similar agencies
- Expert knowledge of US labor and employment laws and legal issues, including but not limited to Title VII, ADA, ADEA, NLRA, FMLA, and FLSA compliance
- Proficient in writing and training
- A servant-leader who thrives on a high-energy and high-accountability environment
- A no-nonsense multi-tasker, who exhibits a high degree of initiative and the ability to cut through complex problems to craft creative, pragmatic and effective solutions
- A disciplined and self-motivated professional with solid work habits, a driving commitment to timeliness, and a strong sense of pride in a job well-done
- An all-around team player who views no task as too large or too small, and who is passionate about the organization, its mission and the people it serves
- A true listener, who displays good judgment, inspires confidence and handles confidential matters with absolute discretion
- A positive and energetic person with a great sense of humor and a strong desire to help others perform and grow
This full-time, exempt position will be based at the Service Center in San Juan Capistrano, California.
We are committed to providing a competitive benefits and compensation package which includes medical/dental/vision coverage, company-provided life insurance, 401(k) with company match, and sick/vacation plans. Additionally, enjoy access to our fully equipped onsite gym (San Juan Capistrano office location). We also believe in supporting our employee’s professional growth and development through our Learning Management System as well as training sessions and seminars.
Ensign Services, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Pre-employment criminal background screening required.
The employer for this position is stated in the job posting. Ensign Services, Inc. provides recruiting services for operations in the skilled nursing, assisted living, home health and hospice industries.
[ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Associate General Counsel - Employment Law
- Industrial Relations
- Labour Laws
- Fair Labor Standards Act
- Family And Medical Leave Act Of 1993
- Practical And Pragmatic