The Bus Mechanic must:
- have a thorough knowledge of components on METRO’s revenue vehicles and their proper function as required for selected job classification.
- show a proficient knowledge and use of test equipment and specialized tools related to selected classification requirements.
- independently diagnose and repair all defects to completion in a timely manner under the supervision of a Mechanical Foreman.
Perform duties in a safe, efficient manner and in compliance with all applicable rules and safety procedures. The specific job classification level will be determined on qualifications and experience.
Responsibilities and Specific Duties
- Performs Preventive Maintenance Inspections (PMI) on revenue fleet.
- Inspects and/or test and observe defective equipment to troubleshoot and diagnose malfunctions of major components and complete assemblies.
- Performs diagnosis and repair of air brake systems, suspension, steering and alignment.
- Proper use and interpretation of laptop computer and related software. Must be able to read and interpret refrigerant, hydraulic, and pneumatic pressure gauges and understand the proper use of battery/ charging system analyzers.
- Services and diagnose electrical systems utilizing test instruments such as laptop computer, ID Reader/ Writer and able to read ladder logic charts.
- Assists in the servicing and diagnosing of exhaust after-treatment systems and electronic engine controls.
- Inspects and verifies dimensions, clearances, and torque of part fasteners to ensure conformance to factory specifications.
- Road tests vehicles when necessary to diagnose malfunctions or to ensure that they are working properly.
- Completes all required reports and records in a timely and accurate fashion.
- Assists in work direction with mechanics as assigned.
- Participates in on-going training in accordance with METRO’s Maintenance Training Program.
- Provides excellent customer service to METRO internal and external customers.
- Promotes safety awareness and follows safety procedures in an effort to reduce or eliminate accidents.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
High school diploma or equivalent. Graduation from a related technical school preferred.
Years & Experience Required
Minimum three (3) years mechanical repair experience on automotive, medium or heavy duty equipment.
Automotive Service Excellence Certificates (ASE) in brakes, steering/ suspension, and/or PMI preferred.
Knowledge & Skills Required
A valid Commercial Texas Driver’s License with “P” endorsement is required and must meet METRO’s requirements regarding motor vehicle records. Must obtain Texas Commercial Driver’s License within 90 days of employment. The ability to drive any Authority owned vehicle. Able to maintain or obtain additional certification/licenses as required. Possess complete knowledge of all tools and equipment in shop related to job classification. Must maintain a basic set of personal hand tools to perform repairs related to job classification with exception of specialized tools provided by METRO. Ability to complete written reports, records and forms. Must be able to speak, read and write English.
The Metropolitan Transit Authority of Harris County, Texas has a zero tolerance drug and alcohol policy for all employees. All internal and external applicants will be required to undergo drug testing before employment and will be subject to further drug and/or alcohol testing throughout their employment.
Further, employees who perform safety-sensitive functions will submit to drug and/or alcohol testing in accordance to the Department of Transportation (DOT) and the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) regulatory requirements.
We provide equal opportunity to all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, veteran status, genetic information or disability.
- Assembly And Installation
- Automotive Industry
- Charging System
- Commercial Driver's License (Cdl)
- Customer Service
- Electrical Installation Work