Operates a bus over an established route adhering to predetermined schedule in a safe, efficient and courteous manner to allow passengers to board, travel and alight at scheduled stops.
Required to submit to and pass drug and alcohol testing as mandated by the Federal Transportation Administration.
Required to be at least 21 years of age.
Required to have an acceptable driving record and a valid State of Illinois Class "B" Commercial Driver's License (CDL) or a valid State of Illinois CDL permit with the following three endorsements: KNOWLEDGE, PASSENGER and AIR BRAKES.
High school diploma or GED preferred. PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Required to be standing changing destination and bus numbers, signs, helping people board bus, to walk to relief points, checking bus and sitting while driving bus.
- Required to lift, to carry and to push of brake pedal and accelerator, windows and to pull door control latch.
- Required to climb into vehicle and adjustment of mirrors, to balance, to stoop to adjust driver’s seat, to kneel, to crouch and to crawl.
- Required to reach accepting and validating transfer cards and fare cards, adjusting mirror, to handle transfer and fare cards; steering wheel, to finger operating fare box, horn, punching transfers, to feel distributing and receiving transfer and fare cards, to talk announcing streets and answering passenger inquiries, to hear listening to traffic sounds, signal requesting stops, emergency vehicles, passenger questions and radio monitor.
- Required to see near and far watching stopped vehicles, checking passes/cards and general traffic conditions viewing of traffic signals and riding passes.
- Possess customer service experience or skills to provide outstanding customer service to passengers.
- Must possess a comprehensive knowledge of the rules, regulations and procedures relative to the operation of surface vehicles.
- Must possess a comprehensive knowledge of pertinent state and municipal traffic laws.
- Must possess the skills necessary to accurately read and interpret bus schedules. Must possess a thorough knowledge of the fare structure, transfer regulations and the rules and procedures governing Bus Operators.
- Required to possess a knowledge of arithmetic.
- Required to speak in a clear and accurate manner.
- Must possess a thorough knowledge of the preparation and usage of applicable transportation forms.
Rate to be determined by applicant's entered service date and service date in union jurisdiction of this classification.
CTA IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against because of race, color, creed, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, sexual orientation, ancestry, age, unfavorable military discharge, disability or any other status protected by federal, state, or local laws; except where a bona fide occupational qualification exists We are committed to providing an inclusive environment for our workforce and supporting the communities we serve. CTA will make reasonable accommodations for the known disabilities of otherwise qualified applicants for employment as well as its employees, unless undue hardship would result. If you require an accommodation in the application or hiring process, please contact [ Email address blocked ] - Click here to apply to Bus Operator
prior to the submission of your application or upon notification of your actual test date. CTA will work with you to determine if an accommodation can be provided.
TO BE CONSIDERED APPLICATIONS MUST BE COMPLETED IN THEIR ENTIRETY INCLUDING:
- UPLOADED RESUME / WORK HISTORY
- JOB ASSESSMENT QUESTIONS
INFORMATION PROVIDED MUST BE ACCURATE AND TRUTHFUL.