If you like disrupting the norm and are looking for a company revolutionizing an industry then you will LOVE what Carvana has done for the car buying experience. Buying a car the old fashioned way sucks and we are working hard to make it NOT suck. At Carvana, our customers can hop online to...
- Search and browse our inventory of over 20,000 vehicles that we own and certify.
- Narrow down search results using highly intelligent filtering tools/components.
- View vehicle details, Carfax reports, and 360 rotating studio images for every vehicle.
- Secure financing in minutes using Carvana’s in-house service or their own bank.
- Interact with GUI components to easily customize loan length, down payment, and monthly payment.
- Generate, upload, and eSign all documents online (no ink necessary).
- Schedule front door delivery or pick up at one of our [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Database Engineer.
- Trade-in their existing vehicle or just sell it to Carvana (no purchase necessary).
For more information on Carvana and our mission, sneak a peek at our[ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Database Engineer or learn more about what it’s like to work here from the [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Database Engineer.
About the team and position
Do you have a natural curiosity to build new technologies? When you hear the acronym IMDB, do you think of an in-memory database instead of movies? If so, join a dynamic team of database engineers aimed at supporting the whole new way to buy a car. We are a fast-growing team that is focused on performance, scalability, and reliability to provide the best experience to our customers, both internal and external.
Our Database Development team is the bouncer of Carvana’s data – and we have no qualms about tossing out the riff-raff. Our team partners with various internal stakeholders – from marketing to data science to engineering – to help Carvana become a strong, data-driven company.
What you’ll be doing
- Work with tools like Management Studio, Integration Services, Reporting Services, and Tableau against the latest versions of SQL Server and Azure SQL databases.
- Become familiar with the multitude of ways data flows through our various systems in order to contribute creative problem-solving solutions, as well as to ensure the data integrity among various data stores and ETLs.
- Utilize development, test, and production environments, adhering to change management requirements for system implementations.
- Participate in team lunch and learns, design sessions, and code reviews.
- Work with others to understand and deliver data so that non-technical resources can understand/respond as needed.
- Take part in cross-functional project teams with data scientists, product buyers, and customer advocates.
- Work with leaders and users to define business intelligence needs and translate them to functional requirements to the technical team.
- Work with end-users and other IT teams to resolve operational issues and mitigate risks as applicable.
- Help design and build solutions to support business strategies and deliver business value.
What you should have
- An undergraduate degree in fields such as Management Information Systems, Computer Science, or have the equivalent experience.
- At least 3 years of experience working with relational databases and a good grasp of the relational database model.
- Embraces teamwork and lives by the motto that “We are all in this together.”
- Fearless of being un-knowledgeable about a particular subject area/technology; yearning to learn and ask questions, with a strong desire to grow through challenging work and new technologies.
- Experience working with Integration Services (SSIS) and an understanding of moving data from source to destination data sources.
- Familiar with the concepts of normalization and referential integrity.
- Proven experience having worked with and feel confident with SQL Server.
- Knowledge of what a query plan is and how to review one.
- Understand the purpose of primary, foreign, and unique keys.
- Understand the difference between DML and DDL.
- Understand basic indexing concepts, like the difference between clustered/non-clustered.
- Excited to do performance tuning and process streamlining (woo!).
- Passion to learn industry best practices and implementing processes accordingly.
- A forward-thinking mentality; a desire to predict how future company evolution will affect processes implemented today.
What does our growth have to do with you?
Only everything. Are you not sure you meet 100% of the qualifications? Give it a shot! [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Database Engineer that men will apply to a job when only meeting 60% of the requirements, whereas women and members of other systematically marginalized groups typically only apply when they meet every single requirement. At Carvana, we're builders. We build tools, business, and our people. We value diversity in backgrounds and thought, so take a shot and apply! Please highlight some of your accomplishments in your resume and cover letter so we can talk about how you can grow with us.
What we’ll offer in return
- Full-Time Salary Position with a competitive salary.
- Medical, Dental, and Vision benefits.
- 401K with company match.
- A multitude of perks including student loan payments, discounts on vehicles, benefits for your pets, and much more.
- A great wellness program to keep you healthy and happy both physically and mentally.
- Access to opportunities to expand your skillset and share your knowledge with others across the organization.
- A company culture of promotions from within, with a start-up atmosphere allowing for varied and rapid career development.
- A seat in one of the fastest-growing companies in the country.
To be able to do your job at Carvana, there are some basic requirements we want to share with you.
- Must be able to read, write, speak and understand English.
Of course, we’ll make any reasonable accommodations for those with disabilities to perform the essential functions of their jobs.
Hiring is contingent on passing a complete background check. This role is eligible for visa sponsorship.
Carvana is an equal employment opportunity employer. All applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, protected veteran status, or genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. Carvana also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories.
Please note this job description is not designed to contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Business Informatics
- Business Intelligence
- Business Strategies
- Change Management
- Code Review
- Confident And Emotionally Stable