Altra Industrial Motion is a leading global designer and manufacturer of quality power transmission and motion control products utilized on a wide variety of industrial drivetrain applications.
Founded in 1857, TB Wood's has grown to become a global leader in the design and manufacturer of industrial couplings and belted drive solutions.TB Wood's foundry operations are capable of producing gray and ductile iron parts up to 10,000 lbs. per cast part. Reliable TB Wood's products are utilized in many key markets including food & beverage, energy, wastewater, concrete, metals, pulp & paper and material handling on applications such as conveyor systems, rolling mills, pumps, compressors, palletizers, de-barkers, printing equipment, fans & blowers, machine tools, and mixers. Learn more information at https://www.altramotion.com/our-brands/tb-woods-incorporated.
The Plant Engineer is responsible for providing technical direction related to the operation, maintenance, repair and replacement of foundry and machining equipment, supporting systems and facility infrastructure. The position is hands-on in a fast-paced production environment and applies engineering concepts to plan, develop and execute projects.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Work collaboratively with the leadership team in developing a rolling 3-year capital project plan for equipment and facility improvements.
- Conduct equipment and facility risk assessments with mitigation recommendations for the most critical assets.
- Act as project leader on all engineering improvements to buildings and equipment. This includes, but is not limited to, generating options, performing design calculations, drawing creation, standard development, installation instructions, etc. Responsible for project scope, project plan, budget, timing and completing activities per specifications.
- Improve equipment uptime by leading the problem-solving process. Investigate problems by going and seeing and provide technical analysis and guidance to quantify facts. Identify the point of occurrence and the root cause of the problem. Conduct tests to verify the countermeasure's effect.
- Establish data acquisition methods for measuring equipment performance. Analyze data, compare to operational standards and report findings.
- Responsible for knowing environmental regulatory requirements, validating data used to demonstrate compliance and submitting required documentation.
- Comply with the plant's Safety Policy and federal OSHA regulations.
- Review the frequency and work content in the preventative maintenance program. Adjust the program based on data.
- Facilitate, promote, and implement lean initiatives that drive continuous improvements in safety, quality, delivery, and cost in the operation by using the Altra Business System (ABS) tools and methods. Lead and/or participate in Kaizen events and GEMBA "go and see" walks.
- Work collaboratively with site leaders and peers on improvement project definition and justification.
- Understand the competencies of vendors and provide adequate information for work to be quoted.
- Responsible for flexing work shift to see processes in operation.
- Demonstrated project planning skills leading to the attainment of long-term objectives. Ability to plan and execute a project with minimal variation from the initial cost and timing.
- Strong mechanical aptitude and a demonstrated understanding of manufacturing and machining processes specifically, foundry equipment and CNC machinery. Solid understanding of equipment mechanics, hydraulics, electronics, PLC's and pneumatics.
- Demonstrated proficiency with generating blueprints, technical drawings, schematics, technical information, standards and instructions. Must have the ability to keep data organized and current.
- Demonstrated structured problem solving and critical thinking skills, including clarifying the specific problem, root cause analysis and determination, develop and implementation of countermeasures, results monitoring and standardizing the change.
- Demonstrated ability to apply reasonable assumptions along with limited data to make timely and logical recommendations and decisions.
- Ability to design and run operational tests to understand equipment health and process variations.
- Strong proficiency with CAD and MS Office software applications (Inventor, Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Willingness and ability to work extended hours, including weekends as required in order to support manufacturing needs.
Education and Experience Requirements
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering required (mechanical, industrial or electrical is preferred).
- 5 or more years of engineering experience with industrial equipment or systems is required; experience with foundry equipment and systems is preferred.
- 5 or more years of equipment and facility maintenance experience in an industrial setting is required; additional manufacturing operations experience is preferred.
- Prior experience leading capital projects over $100k is required.
- Previous experience supervising technical resources, directly or indirectly, is preferred.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
Majority of time will be spent between office and, biased toward, manufacturing environments. Appropriate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) will be required to be worn in designated areas. Exposure to noise, respirable and airborne dust, molten iron and heavy castings while on the production floor. Exposure to weather while working on outdoor projects.
Lifting up to 50lbs, bending, reaching, walking or standing for long periods of time, working from heights and the ability to navigate through small spaces. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The company in which you have expressed employment interest is a subsidiary or affiliate of Altra Industrial Motion Corp. The subsidiary or affiliate is referred to as an ""Altra Company."" Altra Industrial Motion Corp. and all Altra Companies are equal opportunity employers that evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or other characteristics protected by law. The ""EEO is the Law"" poster is available at: http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf. Individuals who need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process will have the opportunity to request accommodation during the application process.
Engineering Design Process