Combine two of the fastest-growing fields on the planet with a culture of performance, collaboration and opportunity and this is what you get. Leading edge technology in an industry that's improving the lives of millions. Here, innovation isn't about another gadget, it's about making health care data available wherever and whenever people need it, safely and reliably. There's no room for error. Join us and start doing your life's best work.(sm)
The Principal Architect role is accountable for providing architectural guidance and direction to initiatives for the UnitedHealthcare Employer & Individual business segment. As a Principal Architect, you will create solutions that address various business challenges, while at the same time, ensuring these technology solutions align with the overall E&I technology strategy. With a focus on proactive consultation, guidance and partnership, a principal architect must understand our business priorities and corresponding initiatives, so that they can provide insights back to our technology partners.
In this role, you will be partnering with senior business and technology leaders to determine the feasibility of new ideas, assessing emerging opportunities, identify Proof of Concept opportunities, translating strategy and business needs into technology approaches, coordinating the development of large solutions, and working with other technology delivery organizations to guide the evolution of these initiatives.
You'll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
- Consult with senior leaders and/or external vendors on complex technology solution issues that may impact multiple integrated business organizations and/or applications
- Focus on the overall information/data models to help set/establish the data strategy and ensure alignment across the technology landscape
- Ensure the alignment of technology solutions that enable, enhance, or create business capabilities with the overall E&I technology strategy
- Collaborate with the E&I business organization to understand their business problems and propose technology solutions to address those challenges
- Ensure strategic intent and impacts on supporting capabilities are mutually understood by the business and technology organizations
- Lead and participate in the design of information and application architectures on the basis of impact, cost, functionality and practicability
- Assist in setting standards and guidelines on how to unambiguously define and describe business and systemic requirements for technology initiatives
- Provide stewardship and guidance to the various technology delivery organizations on behalf of the business stakeholders
- Collaborate across other areas of the UnitedHealthcare architecture organization
- Communicate effectively with externally facing senior stakeholders
- Drive adaptive change and process improvement within the technology development and business organizations
- Apply enterprise and data integration patterns using APIs, micro-services, event-driven and data-driven approaches
- Deliver solutions using an Agile/Scrum methodology
- Drive strategic and transitional planning of applications, information, and business functions
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Systems Management, or related field
- 10+ years of overall experience in IT
- 5+ years of experience developing in modern full stack applications using open-source languages including SpringBoot, .NET Core, and data technologies including T-SQL, NoSQL, and GraphQL
- 5+ years of overall IT architectural experience (e.g. enterprise, business, solution, information) OR 5+ years of solution architecture systems integration experience including experience working as a software and integration architect
- Experience with large-scale (multi-domain, multi-application) IT system integration and architecture solutions
- Experience leading capability grooming sessions with a variety of business and technology stakeholders
- Experience working with productivity tools (e.g. MS Office suite), architecture modeling tools (e.g. ARCHI, Alfabet) and related modeling languages (e.g. ArchiMate 3.0, UML)
- Experience with multiple development frameworks and methodologies (e.g. TOGAF, Agile, SAFe, LeSS)
- Experience managing relationships with senior level business leaders
- High proficiency in developing visual representations of architectural solutions using a standard notation (solutions context, solutions architecture, applications architecture, sequence diagrams, experience orchestrations, etc.)
- Proven ability to demonstrate the relationship of data architectures as they relate to integrated systems solutions
- Proven ability to understand technological infrastructure and how it relates to solutions and integrations
- Proven ability to understand the big picture before getting into details
- Experience working in the healthcare sector
- Experience leading architect efforts or managing a team of architects
- TOGAF, Archimate or other architecture certifications
- SAFe Agilist and/or LeSS certification
- Knowledge of the health care industry
- Solid mental agility and critical thinking/analytical skills, and be adaptable to an ever-changing environment
- Solid presentation skills with ability to create both high level diagrams for executives, as well as solution documentation for analysts, developers, and QA
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, is organized, has good time management skills, is focused, and has strong attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal skills, is a team player, be proactive, a self-starter and is highly motivated
Technology Careers with Optum. Information and technology have amazing power to transform the health care industry and improve people's lives. This is where it's happening. This is where you'll help solve the problems that have never been solved. We're freeing information so it can be used safely and securely wherever it's needed. We're creating the very best ideas that can most easily be put into action to help our clients improve the quality of care and lower costs for millions. This is where the best and the brightest work together to make positive change a reality. This is the place to do your life's best work.(sm)
Colorado Residents Only: The salary range for Colorado residents is $110,200 to $211,700. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. As of the date of this posting, UHG offers the following benefits for this position, subject to applicable eligibility requirements: Health, dental, and vision plans; wellness program; flexible spending accounts; paid parking or public transportation costs; 401(k) retirement plan; employee stock purchase plan; life insurance, short-term disability insurance, and long-term disability insurance; business travel accident insurance; Employee Assistance Program; PTO; and employee-paid critical illness and accident insurance.
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drugfree workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Job Keywords: Principal Architect, Eden Prairie MN, Minnesota, Work At Home, Remote, Work From Home, Telecommute, Telecommuter, Telecommuting