28800 Ida St Valley Nebraska 68064-8016
Welcome to Valmont, where a world of opportunity awaits. When you join our team, you become part of a passionate group dedicated to changing lives and conserving resources around the globe. We want problem solvers who roll up their sleeves to foster progress and innovation for all people. At Valmont, we provide infrastructure, irrigation, tubing and coatings to the world. We strengthen cities. We nourish croplands. We design, manufacture and coat. Our products and services make a difference. Join us, and BUILD YOUR WORLD.
A Brief Summary of This Position
This is an individual contributor position responsible for operating the galvanizing department’s 15-ton overhead bridge crane. The Bridge Crane Operator is responsible for inspecting hooks and chains and using gauges to check the thickness of the crane set-up. Incumbent is responsible for securing loads with hooks and chains and moving the suspended loads throughout the plant by operating the radio controlled overhead bridge cranes. The Bridge Crane Operator is responsible for monitoring steel products in the process tanks and zinc baths to achieve desired, high quality end results. Incumbent will also be responsible for operating and maneuvering the drossing equipment. In addition, the Bridge Crane Operator will assist in general plant clean up and housekeeping, and work safely with the required Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
- Inspect hooks and chains and use gauges to check the thickness of the crane set-up
- Secure loads with hooks and chains
- Operate the radio controlled overhead bridge crane and move suspended and non-suspended loads throughout the plant
- Monitor steel products in the process tanks and zinc baths
- Move pieces of steel up to 50 pounds by hand from different locations in the plant and yard; most frequent lift is 35 pounds
- Operate and maneuver the drossing equipment in a proper and safe manner
- Spend up to 75% of shift walking/standing
- High awareness for safety while wearing all necessary Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Work in a non-temperature controlled environment that includes exposure to outdoor weather conditions
Important Details about the Role
- The ability to communicate and interact with coworkers in a positive manner
- The ability to pay attention to detail and follow work instructions
- The ability to work one (1) to two (2) shifts of overtime per week
- The ability to work in extreme temperatures with exposure to smoke and irritating particulates
- The ability to recognize and solve practical problems
- Must be a person of passion and integrity who has the drive to excel and deliver exceptional results
- This position reports to the Coatings Shift Supervisor
Required Qualifications of Every Candidate (Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities)
- Three (3) or more years of relevant experience
- Ability to recognize hazardous substances and to know basic employee responsibilities for chemical safety
- Perform duties of a Material Handler and Crew Leader functions, as needed
- Assist in general plant clean up and housekeeping
- Must be able to read and follow written and verbal instructions
- Ability to write and perform addition and subtraction of whole numbers
Highly Qualified Candidates Will Also Possess These Qualifications
- High school diploma or GED equivalent
- Six (6) months of galvanizing experience
- One (1) year of previous experience with overhead crane operations
- Read and follow written and verbal instructions
- Perform basic math functions such as adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing
- Lift, push, pull, and carry up to 50 pounds
- The ability to pass an eye exam
Valmont offers employees and their families a comprehensive Total Well-being benefit package to ensure their personal and family's overall wellness needs are met.
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- Paid time off
- Employer paid life insurance
- Employer paid short-term and long-term disability
- Retirement plans
- Dependent care
- Employee assistance programs
- Voluntary programs like tobacco cessation, Type 2 diabetes reversal, mortgage services, home & auto insurance, health coaching and more.
Due to the nature of Valmont's Global Business and Union contracts, not all benefits are the same.
Valmont does not discriminate against any employee or applicant in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by law. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
If you have a disability and require any assistance in filling out the application for employment email [ Email address blocked ] - Click here to apply to Crane Operator (2nd & 3rd Shift) Starting $23+/hr PLUS shift differential!.
- Attention To Detail
- Math Functions