Solutions driven success.
RXO brings together massive capacity, cutting-edge technology and industry-leading expertise to keep shippers and carriers ahead of the marketplace. At RXO, we’re looking for innovative and collaborative employees who are committed to solving our customers’ challenges. We know we can do big things when we work together – so join us on our mission to disrupt the industry.
As a Principal Engineer, Cloud you will be primarily responsible for oversight and engineering of external cloud environments. As the cloud expert, you will work with development teams, infrastructure, and other stakeholders to drive and enable the migration of on-premises applications to cloud native design and deployment methodologies. In addition to technical expertise, you must have excellent writing, speaking, and presentation skills and must be willing to lead from a technical position.
Pay, benefits and more.
- Full health insurance on day one (medical, dental and vision)
- Life and disability insurance
- 401(k) option with company match
- Education assistance
- Company paid holidays
- Paid-time-off (PTO)
What you’ll do on a typical day:
- Design, architect, engineer, implement, consult and be a subject matter expert to build/migrate applications, resolve technical deployment obstacles and improve use of the Google Cloud Platform
- Provide hands-on help in supporting the App Dev team with their target platform specific project needs
- Provide architectural consulting expertise, direction, and assistance to systems analysts, IT cloud engineers, and other engineers
- Collect and define technical requirements to enable business process and integrations
- Establish governance and enforce quality standards for cloud software and infrastructure architectures
- Analyze the current architecture to identify weaknesses and develop opportunities for improvement
- Work closely with leadership and stakeholders to gather technical requirements, architect solutions, and drive high priority customer initiatives
- Understand how to best manage GCP and other cloud environments in accordance with security policies and controls
- Maintain clear documentation and standards for cloud operations in the organization
- Evaluate new technologies and offerings from cloud providers
- Advise development teams with their on-prem infrastructure architecture in preparation for cloud migration. Deploy and debug code for cloud initiatives in line with best practices
- Assist development teams with cloud transformation of applications
- Lead architecture design/re-design for business-critical systems
- Oversee monitoring/SRE solutions and advance monitoring capabilities
- Participate in DR design/testing
- Procure, Produce and Curate architect and design documentation
- Create repeatable design patterns so that new projects will have a shorter on-ramp
- Manage cloud billing and reporting
- Provide leadership and mentoring across the organization
- Be ready to assist in the event of a high-severity outage
What you need to succeed at RXO:
At a minimum, you’ll need:
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent related work or military experience
- 8 years of IT engineering, architecture design and cloud implementation experience, including 5 years of experience with Google (must), Microsoft, and Oracle cloud and minimum of 3 years of experience in a lead capacity or higher
- Experience with Infrastructure Automation (Infrastructure as Code) such as Terraform and Ansible, Kubernetes and container orchestration, and istio service mesh
- Fundamental understanding of DevOps practices, troubleshooting expertise
- Experience with Data Science and Data Engineering offerings from major cloud providers including Data Warehousing and ETL/ELT pipelines
It’d be great if you also have:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a related field
- Strong GCP and other cloud implementation experience is a must.
- Experience working with multiple IT disciplines and in agile environment
- Familiarity with relational and non-relational databases and serverless compute technologies
- Certifications in Google, Microsoft, and Oracle Cloud
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, disability, veteran or other protected status.
All applicants who receive a conditional offer of employment may be required to take and pass a pre-employment drug test.
The above statements are not an exhaustive list of all required responsibilities, duties and skills for this job classification.
Review RXO's candidate privacy statement [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Principal Engineer, Cloud - Chicago, IL
- Agile Methodology
- Business Processes