Position Summary -
The Scrum Master is responsible for facilitating the continuous improvement of the software delivery team and quality of its deliverables. By following developed Scrum and other Agile and LEAN methodologies, the Scrum Master coaches the team in self-organization and cross-functionality, removes impediments to the team’s progress, facilitates scrum ceremonies, and understands and manages the team’s capacity, to ensure team execution and timely delivery of committed work.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities -
- Understand key business objectives and strategy of the product, and help communicate to the team in partnership with the Product Manager
- Partner with Product managers to manage and prioritize stories for development and delivery
- Assist the development team with release planning, functional research, and testing of releases.
- Work with other Product Managers to ensure dependencies are prioritized appropriately across teams.
- Review and develop acceptance criteria. Inspect, accept or reject completed work from the development phase
- Guide the team and organization on Agile/Scrum best practices. Guide the team toward self-organization and building cross-functional skills
- Assess the organization of the team and coach the team to higher levels of maturity, at a pace that is sustainable and comfortable for the team and organization
- Facilitate the removal of impediments or guide the team to remove impediments by finding the right personnel to remove the impediment
- Facilitate discussion, root cause analysis, decision making, and conflict resolution
- Assist with internal and external communication, improving transparency, and radiating information
- Support and educate the Product Owner, especially with respect to grooming and maintaining the product backlog
- Provide all support to the team as a servant leader and lead by example
Knowledge and Abilities –
- Good skills and knowledge of servant leadership, facilitation, situational awareness, conflict resolution, continual improvement, empowerment, and increasing transparency
- Must be an excellent communicator, able to gain the respect of the team, external stakeholders, and management.
- Must be able to nurture self-organizing, high performing teams through servant leadership, coaching and mentoring
- Knowledge of other Agile approaches: XP, Kanban, etc.
- Knowledge and/or experience with widely successful Agile techniques: User Stories, ATDD, TDD, Continuous Integration, Continuous Testing, Pairing, Automated Testing, Agile Games
- Experience with Agile tools (ex. JIRA, TFS, Rally)
- Applicable knowledge of the technologies used by the team
- Excellent communication and mentoring skills
- First level Scrum Master certification (CSM, PSM I)
- Experience in the Scrum Master role for at least 1 year for a software development team that was diligently applying Scrum principles, practices, and theory
- Minimum of 1-3 years of experience leading projects
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field
Scrum (Software Development)
Agile Software Development
Test Driven Development (Tdd)
Continuous Improvement Process