St. Luke's is proud of the skills, experience and compassion of its employees. The employees of St. Luke's are our most valuable asset! Individually and together, our employees are dedicated to satisfying the mission of our organization which is an unwavering commitment to excellence as we care for the sick and injured; educate physicians, nurses and other health care providers; and improve access to care in the communities we serve, regardless of a patient's ability to pay for health care.
The Laboratory Aide, Accession Area, will be responsible for registration of laboratory orders, handling and processing of specimens. Perform equipment maintenance, computer entry, and communicates with the hospital staff, physician offices and referral laboratories. Requires independent judgment in the performance of the assigned duties.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Processes and delivers specimens according to the priority of collection to the appropriate laboratory testing section.
- Operates a centrifuge to separate blood specimens.
- Labels blood and non-blood specimens with identifying labels.
- Using the laboratory information system, verifies receipt of specimens in the laboratory and applies the correct phlebotomy code as required for charging the phlebotomy fee when appropriate.
- Transfers specimens (blood and non-blood) from primary container to aliquot container.
- Registers patient information (demographics, insurance information, and diagnosis) and places lab orders in Hospital Information System for specimens received in the laboratory from physician offices.
- Processes specimens that are collected at the off-site draw stations, Allentown, Anderson, Miners, and Quakertown Campuses. Checks the physician orders against the labels and/or verifies the transport list (as appropriate) to ensure accuracy of orders and resolves any discrepancy.
- Prepares microbiology specimens for transport to 77 Commerce Way.
- Adds cytolyte to cytology specimens to reserve for shipment to 77 Commerce Way.
- Create transport lists for specimens being sent to 77 Commerce Way.
- Prepares specimens for referral (interfaced and non-interfaced tests) to outside reference laboratories which include logging, packaging and mailing of specimens.
- Reviews pending test lists to assure all specimens are received for referral testing.
- Performs daily and monthly maintenance on streamlab.
- Maintains and monitors equipment (centrifuges, label and paper printers, refrigerators, pneumatic tube).
- Monitors the audit trail printer to ensure it is current for receipt of orders across the interface.
- Answers phone inquiries about specimens, results, and operations.
- Communicates as necessary with other health care departments within and outside of the hospital.
PHYSICAL AND SENSORY REQUIREMENTS:
Walking for up to six (6) hours in half-hour increments. Frequently uses fingers for typing data entry, and hands for processing specimens which includes twisting and turning specimen caps. Continuously uses upper extremities for transporting of specimens up to ten (10) pounds. Rarely lifts, pushes or pulls from 26 to 50 pounds. Rarely stoops, bends or reaches above shoulder level. Hearing as it relates to normal conversation. Seeing as it relates to general vision, near vision, peripheral vision and visual monotony.
High School Diploma
Please complete your application using your full legal name and current home address. Be sure to include employment history for the past seven (7) years, including your present employer. Additionally, you are encouraged to upload a current resume, including all work history, education, and/or certifications and licenses, if applicable. It is highly recommended that you create a profile at the conclusion of submitting your first application. Thank you for your interest in St. Luke's!![ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Lab Aide (Per Diem)[ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Lab Aide (Per Diem)
- Packaging And Labeling