Joining NWCI gives you the opportunity for growth and development throughout the company, a competitive salary and benefits package, and to be part of a dynamic and diverse culture.
NWCI is a leading retailer to under-served rural communities and urban neighborhood markets in the following regions: Northern Canada, Western Canada, rural Alaska, the South Pacific islands, and the Caribbean. Our stores offer a broad range of products and services with an emphasis on food. Our value offer is to be the best local shopping choice for everyday household and local lifestyle needs. Check out northwest.ca for more information. This position is located in Anchorage, Alaska.
In your role as an Occupational Health Safety Specialist you will promote a healthy and safe work environment by developing, coordinating and implementing preventative wellness and safety policies and programs. This role is responsible for monitoring Workers Compensation claims and being the liaison between the organizations and supporting vendor relationships. The role is responsible for reviewing legislative requirements making corresponding company policy recommendations.
• Build and maintain effective relationships with leadership and employees in order to drive business results through safe business practices.
• Provide day-to-day advice, counsel and guidance to line managers and employees as they navigate through employee incidents, questions, processes, policies and procedures.
• Develop, deliver, and monitor programs and procedures to maintain compliance with legislation and local safety laws as
• Track workers compensation claims, sick leave/LTD claims, light duty agreements, return to work programs and develop proactive plans to reduce employee incident claims experience/costs.
• Inspect and evaluate workplace environments and practices as required in order to ensure best practices are adhered to and the safety of employees in all NWCI locations.
• Order safety supplies and equipment as needed for sites.
• Monitor legislation, informs business lead of imminent changes, and makes recommendations for action.
• Develop metrics, analyze and report results accompanied with strategies to drive change.
• Identify training requirements by location and coordinate/ deliver as required (i.e. CPR, First Aid).
• Identify wellness programs to support achievement of strategic business objectives, including developing or refreshing strategies that incorporate and reflect the Employee Relations and Well-Being operational
• Solid interpersonal and persuasion skills.
• Ability to establish partnerships working with management and across organizational lines
• Ability to manage complexity and ambiguity under high pressure situations.
• High-quality judgment and sound decision-making.
• Ability to remain objective in all situations.
• Able to handle confidential information in a mature and professional manner.
• Analytical thinker and problem solver which includes, but not limited to, the ability to recognize trends and provide solutions.
Desired Skills Experience:
• Bachelor's degree in Occupational Health Safety or a related field.
• Or Bachelor's degree in related discipline and a minimum of 3 years Occupational Safety work experience,
• Or High School diploma and a minimum of 5+ years Occupational Safety related work experience.
• Masters degree in Safety, Preferred
• 3 years or more multi-legislative experience in a retail or supply chair setting, Preferred
• First aid/CPR/AED Certified, Preferred
• Understanding of state and federal laws associated with Health and Safety.
• Direct experience assessing training needs, creating training materials to fulfill those needs, and then delivering the training
• Experience developing and implementing programs designed to reduce accidents, injuries, and costs associated with Workers Compensation
• Proficient in database management, MS Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint.
• Ability to travel as needed.
Location: Anchorage, AK or Boca Raton, FL
Reports To: Director, Employee Relations Safety (International)
A competitive salary is being offered along with opportunities to learn, develop and advance throughout the organization. We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.