The Assistant General Manager manages the day-to-day operation of the store as a Manager On Duty in conjunction with the management team to maximize sales and customer service. They assist the General Manager with overseeing the execution of all aspects of store operations by providing effective leadership, achieving maximum sales and profits, controlling budgetary expenses, and managing the store team through training, development and accountability.Roles and Responsibilities
- Maximizes profits and customer service by leading assigned category team and operating the store in adherence to all company policies, procedures, and guidelines.
- Operates the store as the Manager On Duty in conjunction with the management team.
- Maintains the physical security of the Books-A-Million store they are assigned, and in doing so is a key-holding member of management.
- Ensures highest level of customer service and handles customer complaints to a satisfactory conclusion.
- Maintains category merchandising and cleanliness and ensures operational efficiency.
- Maintains used category cadencing and stock levels within the monthly budget.
- Assists General Manager with interviewing, hiring and onboarding new talent.
- Trains and develops Associates and Leads.
- Facilitates effective communication to all store Associates through daily briefings and weekly and monthly meetings.
- Audits buyback throughout the day to ensure all policies and procedures are being followed.
- Consults with the General Manager on associate performance.
- Drops off bank deposit and picks up change order as needed.
- Creates schedules and daily agendas to match store business needs.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- All managers follow the 3 or 4 Manager Rotation schedule, depending on the number of managers in the store.
- All managers must have open availability and be able to work opening shifts, closing shifts, or other shifts as needed, OR have availability approved by District Manager if open availability is not possible.
- All managers work 45 hours per week. (40 regular hours + 5 overtime hours)
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- Interpersonal Skills
- Team Management and Development
- Action Orientation
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- 21 years of age or older
- High school diploma or equivalent, some college preferred
- Previous experience in a supervisor role
- Strong customer service skills
- Demonstrated ability to act in a mature and conscientious manner
- Ability to supervise a large number of associates
- Strong decision-making, communication, and merchandising skills
- Successful completion of all required background screenings
Physical and Environmental Requirements
- Computer and cash register skills
- Must be able to stand and walk for extended periods of time
- Must be able to use hands/arms to operate a keyboard and telephone for repetitive motion activities
- Must be able to lift or team lift objects up to 50 lbs., with or without assistance
- Must be able to communicate using speech, sight, and sound with or without an assistive device
- Must be able to stand, walk, climb, bend, stoop, or crouch while performing daily activities of the job
- Agenda Development
- Business Efficiency
- Business Requirements
- Customer Service