This is an entry-level food service position that is responsible for maintaining a high level of cleanliness in the kitchen. Responsible for food preparation and prep area maintenance. Responsible for maintaining all assigned areas organized, sanitary and clean. Responsible for all utility and/or maintenance duties in the restaurant as assigned.
In accordance with RA Sushi's service and cooking procedures:
- Performs daily routine cleaning tasks throughout the back of the house as directed by supervisor.
- Sets up and breaks down the prep area and kitchen line daily.
- Checks equipment to ensure it is operating correctly; promptly reports any issues to management.
- Follows opening and closing duties and responsibilities as directed by supervisor.
- Checks the walk in, storage area, and refrigerators for proper storage and temperatures for food maintenance.
- Maintains the cleanliness and sanitation of the kitchen area.
- Prepares a variety of food items for cooking. This involves washing, peeling, and/or cutting food items, including fruits, vegetables, meats and fish.
- Identifies and communicates to Head Kitchen Chef any food items that may have expired and/or have not been prepared correctly so that the items may be disposed of and recorded correctly.
- Retrieves food items from the fridge or freezer. Stores food in containers, the fridge or freezer.
- Weighs or measures ingredients, refills kitchen bottles, shakers or storage as required.
- Stacks and stores food supplies, equipment, or other utensils in the kitchen.
- Assists dishwasher when needed.
Experience and Education:
Basic food preparation knowledge required.
Previous experience in food preparation preferred but not required.
Previous experience working in a restaurant, catering business or hotel kitchen highly desirable.
High School diploma or GED preferred.
Must be eligible to work in the United States.
Food Knowledge, Preparation, Production and Safety: Ability to prepare food for consumption with background knowledge of proper techniques and equipment to be used. Knowledge of industry standards on beverage and food storage and handling techniques is highly desirable. Where applicable, holds a state and/or local food handlers card.
Physical Demands: Must be able to perform a variety of physical activities including, but not limited to, standing for long periods of time, climbing, walking, bending, reaching, stooping and lifting up to 50 lbs. Ability to carry and lift cookware (pots, pans, etc) containing hot or cool foods and liquids. Ability to use sharp knives and cooking utensils. Must be able to use cleaning compounds and cleaning products. Must be able carry large bins filled with dishes, silverware and other eating utensils. Exposure to hot and/or cold temperatures required (stove, freezer, etc.)
Shift Flexibility: Must be able to work different shifts, including holidays, nights and weekends. Must be able to work overtime as required.
Outline Of Food Preparation