Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals, and branded generic medicines. Our 109,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
The key to successful treatment and full recovery is often fast, accurate diagnosis. Abbott’s life-changing tests and diagnostic tools provide insights that enable smarter, faster decisions and transform the way the world is managing health.
Our pioneering technology spans the world of healthcare operations — with medical diagnostic instruments, tests, automation and informatics solutions for hospitals, reference labs, blood centers, emergency departments, physician offices and clinics.
We have an opportunity for Lead Category Procurement Manager based in Abbott Park, IL or San Diego, CA. This position is responsible for the development and execution of Abbott’s Rapid Diagnostic Division (ARDx) global sourcing strategies for assigned categories. This individual must have the ability to effectively lead and work within diverse multi-functional teams, using deep knowledge of the category to drive improvements in quality, service, risk, cost, and technological capability of our supply base. The position is a dual role responsible for approximately $174MM in annual spend covering finished goods, instruments, and electronic component categories and support to the Consumer business for $70MM in annual supplier spend.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Leads the creation of ARDx’s global category strategies, in conjunction with cross-functional stakeholders across the company. This strategy is the basis of all sourcing decisions across the company, and must effectively meet the needs of the business, while keeping ARDx at the forefront of the industry in the areas of supplier quality, service, risk, cost, and technological capability.
- Subject matter expert for sourcing knowledge in the assigned categories. Maintains and distributes market intelligence, stays abreast of the changing supply base & new technologies, and is able to effectively interface with engineering / R&D on supplier & component / material selection. Uses knowledge of category cost drivers and vendor innovation to drive exploration of lower cost / higher value design alternatives that still meet our end product needs.
- Builds and maintains a multi-functional network of stakeholders (upstream, downstream, and peer) in order to ensure that any strategy supports the needs of the business, and to facilitate initial buy-in, ongoing engagement, and support for execution of the global strategy at all levels.
- Leads supplier selection, negotiation efforts, and contract development throughout the RFP process.
- Provides leadership in developing new procurement processes and procedures – keeps abreast of innovations in the wider procurement career field, and actively looks for opportunities for improvement.
- Leads supplier performance evaluations with both internal and external stakeholders, and drives supplier improvement projects to enhance innovation and quality, reduce cost, and improve supply chain service / efficiency.
- Identifies and elevates areas of highest risk within the category, and leads multi-functional teams to develop actionable risk mitigation strategies.
- Identifies, successfully gets support from the appropriate stakeholders for, and delivers cost savings projects to ensure we meet our organizational savings commitments.
- Reviews and provides recommendations on contracts, negotiations, redlines, etc. with internal and external stakeholders.
- Mentors more junior members of the team, to facilitate rapid development of their advanced tactical & strategic skills.
- Performs other duties & projects as assigned.
- May require up to 25% travel.
- For the Consumer business unit procurement lead
- Builds and maintains a multi-functional network of stakeholders (upstream, downstream, and peer) in order to ensure that any strategy supports the needs of the business, and to facilitate initial buy-in, ongoing engagement, and support for execution of global strategies at all levels.
- Functions as the escalation point for procurement related topics within the Consumer business unit.
- Provides Consumer input to the category management teams for creation and evolution of ARDx global category strategies. The strategy is the basis of all sourcing decisions across the company, and must effectively meet the needs of the business, while keeping ARDx at the forefront of the industry in the areas of supplier quality, service, risk, cost, and technological capability.
- Leads supplier selection, negotiation efforts, and contract development throughout the RFP process for low risk, Consumer specific suppliers.
- Identifies and elevates areas of highest risk in the Consumer supply base, and leads multi-functional teams to develop actionable risk mitigation strategies.
- Identifies, successfully gets support from the appropriate stakeholders, and enables realization to delivers cost savings projects to ensure Consumer savings commitments are met.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE YOU’LL BRING
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Business Administration, Supply Chain, Finance, or Engineering.
- Certification from ISM or APICS.
- Experience with Lean and/or Six Sigma manufacturing concepts a plus.
- 5-10 years of experience in procurement in progressively responsible positions in a highly regulated/analytical manufacturing environment. 3+ years managing electronics or finished medical device categories preferred.
- Demonstrated experience developing and implementing sourcing strategies that have successfully been adopted by the wider organization, and yielded measurable business results.
- Strong technical acumen.
- Strong procurement/sourcing skills including spend analysis, negotiations, supplier relationship management, eSourcing knowledge, total cost of ownership calculations, and market fundamentals. Experience managing and taking action to achieve KPIs such as savings targets, average weighted payment terms, etc.
- Ability to identify a problem and lead an extended team in a complex, global and multicultural environment to frame it, determine root cause, drive to potential solutions, build and present a business case, and communicate effectively to leadership to garner support.
- Ability to get things done in a complex environment, using good judgement to make well-reasoned decisions, even with less than perfect information. Acts with a sense of urgency, and willingly takes on tactical roles as necessary to achieve objectives.
- Strong skills with the Microsoft Office suite of programs.
WHAT WE OFFER
At Abbott, you can have a good job that can grow into a great career. We offer:
Training and career development, with onboarding programs for new employees and tuition assistance
Financial security through competitive compensation, incentives and retirement plans
Health care and well-being programs including medical, dental, vision, wellness and occupational health programs
- Paid time off
401(k) retirement savings with a generous company match
The stability of a company with a record of strong financial performance and history of being actively involved in local communities
Learn more about our benefits that add real value to your life to help you live fully: [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Lead Category Procurement Manager
Follow your career aspirations to Abbott for diverse opportunities with a company that provides the growth and strength to build your future. Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to employee diversity.
Connect with us at [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Lead Category Procurement Manager, on Facebook at [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Lead Category Procurement Manager and on Twitter @AbbottNews and @AbbottGlobal.
- Global Sourcing
- Sourcing (Recruitment)
- Supplier Relationship Management
- Business Case