Optum is a global organization that delivers care, aided by technology to help millions of people live healthier lives. The work you do with our team will directly improve health outcomes by connecting people with the care, pharmacy benefits, data and resources they need to feel their best. Come make an impact on the communities we serve as we help advance health equity on a global scale. Here, you will find talented peers, comprehensive benefits, a culture guided by diversity and inclusion, career growth opportunities and your life's best work.(sm)
The Medical Lab Technologist Lead provides support to the Tech team and ensures compliance with safety, CLIA regulations and quality standards. By facilitating good communication and workflow throughout the laboratory, this position skillfully serves patients, providers, staff members and the Lab Manager, enabling staff to fulfill their job responsibilities.
- Oversees and monitors monthly quality control and linearities for analytes performed at the Main Lab including establishing new ranges and providing data to address quality issues
- Helps to maintain all required activities and documents to assure compliance with both regulatory and accreditation standards applicable to the laboratory including quality assurance standards such as developing, evaluating and helping implement new instruments or procedures
- Helps Lab Manager with interviewing, hiring, competency checks and training for Med Techs and MLT
- Plans and manages priorities, provides technical assistance, helps with techs schedule, monitors quality of work, monitors team projects, provides technical constructive feedback, oversees staff training, ensures quality improvement, provides leadership feedback on staff performance
- Performs waived, moderate and high complexity clinical laboratory testing according to approved procedure
- Responsible for test performance, specimen handling, testing and reporting patient and QC test results for Urinalysis, Hematology, Bacteriology, Mycology, Parasitology, General Immunology, Routine Chemistry, Endocrinology, Microscopic Exam and Toxicology
- Follows the laboratory’s procedures for specimen handling, processing, test analysis, dilutions, reporting, resulting in the LIS and maintaining records of patient results
- Knowledgeable of specimen collection, handling and specimen processing
- Helps with specimen processing as needed
- Follows procedures and appropriately performs quality control, linearities and calibrations
- Performs and documents start up, maintenance, calibrations, control checks of instruments and reagents following established standards
- Verifies all QC is within the required range prior to approving patient results
- Identifies problems that may adversely affect test performance or reporting of test results
- Monitors quality and troubleshoots potential problems with lab instruments. Immediately corrects problems appropriately and notifies Lab Manager, Lead Tech or their designee. Follows established laboratory corrective action policies and procedures. Performs routine equipment maintenance and function checks on instruments promptly, properly and according to procedure. Maintains thorough and accurate documentation of quality control, proficiency testing, correction actions, quality assurance and instruments troubleshooting
- Organizes workload effectively and reports accurate results in a timely manner. Logs qualitative testing and enters test results on log sheets. Double checks manual and LIS interfaced results entries and patient ID prior to approving/releasing results
- Participates in the evaluation, review and training of new and established techniques and procedures including instrument requirements, space, method of comparison, new instrument set up, correlations and procedures Participates in the review of lab procedures and reports any discrepancies to the Lab Manager
- Follows department procedure in reporting stats and critical results. Participates in and completes proficiency and competency testing in a timely fashion and according to approved procedure. Tests proficiency samples the same as patients
- Participates in CLIA inspections, OMG training and all safety training sessions. Follows their respective guidelines. Follows OSHA regulations. Follows standard precautions using PPE and spill kits as applicable. Knows the location of the SDS, Safety Manual and Chemical Hygiene plan and spill kits
- Ensures reagents/tests kits have received dates, expiration dates, opened dates and new expiration date if applicable. Does not use expired materials. Inventories laboratory supplies. Cleans equipment and work areas. Maintains general appearance of the department. Properly disposes expired reagents and contaminated materials
- Utilizes computer systems and instrumentation with speed and accuracy. Follows LIS procedures. Collects data, prepares reports, answers correspondence and compiles statistics as required. Answers questions from customers, providers and lab personnel. Maintains complete records of all testing performed on site. 15.Helpsorient and trains on laboratory equipment and new laboratory staff as needed
- Participates in educational, professional development activities and training exercises as required
- Attends staff meetings as required
- Maintains strictest confidentiality
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Four year degree from an accredited program or three year degree with one year of internship
- Certification as a Medical Lab Technologist through ASCP or recognized equivalent certification
- 3+ years as a Medical Lab Technologist
- Knowledge of clinical laboratory procedures, standards and quality control
- Skill in performing a full range of laboratory tests
- Skill in anticipating and reacting calmly to emergency situations
- Skill in developing and maintaining department quality assurance
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with patients, medical staff and the public
- Ability to follow written protocols
- Ability to communicate clearly
- Full range of body motion including manual and finger dexterity and eye-hand coordination
- Frequent walking, sitting, bending, and standing required for extended periods of time
- Lifts and carries items weighing up to 40 pounds
- Visual acuity and normal color perception. Corrected vision and hearing to normal range
- Exposure to communicable diseases and fluids common to a clinic environment
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential job function of this role. Candidates located in states that mandate COVID-19 booster doses must also comply with those state requirements. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination, and boosters when applicable, prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment.
Careers with Optum. Our objective is to make health care simpler and more effective for everyone. With our hands at work across all aspects of health, you can play a role in creating a healthier world, one insight, one connection and one person at a time. We bring together some of the greatest minds and ideas to take health care to its fullest potential, promoting health equity and accessibility. Work with diverse, engaged and high-performing teams to help solve important challenges.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug - free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.