ArcBest is a logistics company with creative problem solvers who deliver integrated solutions for complex supply chain challenges.
Wanting to join the ArcBest family? In our search for top talent, we are looking for those that will further enable us to deliver on our vision and fully support our values-driven culture.
The Payroll Specialist, Part-Time processes the compensation for contractual and non-contractual hourly employees. This position also ensures hourly employees are compensated in accordance with all applicable labor contracts, federal and state wage and hour laws, and Company policy.
Your contribution may include:
* Process the compensation accurately for the hourly paid employees, including utility drivers under the NMFA including ABF, LMC, and ABF Cartage.
* Assist in maintaining hourly payroll records, including imaged payroll documents, driver logs and timecards.
* Package and distribute hourly and road driver payroll checks weekly, verify the accuracy of the checks and direct deposit stubs sent to each service center in a timely manner
* Interpret the various labor contracts and assist in making decisions concerning the payment of hourly wages including 20 NMFA agreements and approximately 46 additional white paper agreements.
* Communicate with Industrial Relation Managers and discuss the various aspects of the NMFA, white paper contracts and apply the contracts to employees' circumstances
* Review new contracts for changes and coordinate application of the labor agreement changes.
* Review annual rate changes per the NMFA and white paper contracts and the installation of the rates on the employee level.
* Calculate the various types of paid time off for hourly employees, union and non-union, such as reduction or pro-rating of vacation in accordance with the applicable contracts and state laws.
* Compute payroll for employees when errors made by service center in entering hours or payroll due upon termination and the applicable federal and state withholding and other deductions.
* Determine applicable deductions to be withheld and determine if deduction is pre-tax or after tax according to the IRS code.
* Be knowledgeable of Internal Revenue Code, up to 52 state tax codes and Puerto Rico and apply as necessary in determining the correct withholding on different types of payroll checks, such as standard or supplemental withholding.
* Be knowledgeable of the Department of Labor rules for workers, such as required breaks and lunch hours and be able to assist field personnel in applying rules.
* Be knowledgeable of the Department of Transportation driving rules and hours of service rules to answer field questions and work exception reports.
* Install and maintain address updates for hourly employees.
* Assist branch managers, operations supervisors and field payroll clerks in the collection of time and attendance data and absentee records for accurate payroll calculations and health, welfare and pension benefit payments.
* Assist field personnel in the daily use of the time and attendance system and process of reviewing exception reports.
* Apply and maintain proper internal control set up for payroll processing.
* Approve and ensure timely payment of unpaid sick and personal leave per various contracts.
* Calculate and enter adjustments to be made to the Weekly Operating Report (WOR) and provide assistance to service centers regarding adjustments to the WOR and Reports Portal.
* Make suggestions to improve computer programming to the Payroll Systems and Subsystems.
* Review the monthly escheat report and try to contact employees to determine the status of unreconciled items. Determine if items should be escheated.
* Maintain a positive attitude in a highly intense environment.
* Work in a team setting to accomplish department goals.
* Other duties and projects, as assigned.
As the Payroll Specialist, Part-Time, you will be a member of the ABF Payroll team in Fort Smith, AR. This is a part-time position that will average fewer than 30 hours per week. Work hours will generally be scheduled between 8:00 am - 5:00 pm with occasional irregular hours depending on workload. Ready to apply? Before doing so, please make sure you meet the minimum requirements:
Education: Bachelor's degree, preferred.
Experience: Prior payroll and company experience, preferred.
Computer Skills: Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and 10-Key.
If you require accommodation in the application process, please contact