[ Link removed ] /NextEra Energy Services is one of the fastest-growing retail energy providers, delivering innovative energy solutions with affordable electricity plans, including 100 percent renewable energy plans to more than 1.1 million residential and business customers throughout North America.
Position Specific Description
This position is located in the Gexa Energy office in Houston. Gexa Energy is a subsidiary of NextEra Energy, Inc. Gexa Energy, under its different brand names, sells retail electricity in 13 states and the District of Columbia.
- Work with broad based client groups and serve as the day to day legal lead for significant retail electricity transactions potentially involving multiple contracts, counterparties and stakeholders
- Draft, review and negotiate all types of commercial contracts (including commercial sales of electricity, confidentiality, vendor, open records requests, and broker agreements) and related documents (including statements of work, amendments, addenda, attachments, forms, etc.)
- Work closely with internal clients on legal-related sales, partnerships and marketing matters, including RFP responses, general inquiries from prospective clients, channel partner and referral partner relationships, internal policies and processes, intellectual property matters, etc.
- Assist with compliance-related issues by working with the Regulatory department and researching, analyzing and reporting on state and federal regulatory requirements in the areas of electricity and gas sales and consumer law
- Support M&A activity as requested, including contract and legal due diligence and analysis
- Coordinate with outside counsel as needed when jurisdiction-specific or specialized legal advice is required
- Identify and communicate significant risks succinctly to other attorneys and senior management
- Responsible for staying abreast of market terms and updating contract provisions as appropriate
- Provide legal support to other matters of Gexa on an as-needed basis due to other attorneys’ availability and business requirements
- Work closely as part of a team with attorneys providing similar support to Gexa and its affiliates’ energy businesses with respect to various retail and wholesale transactions to insure consistency
- Perform other key legal, business, and compliance-related duties as may be required from time to time.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by the personnel so classified.
Bachelor's degree, Juris Doctor and three (3) or more years of relevant legal experience is required. Must be member in good standing of a state bar (Texas or any other state in the United States).
- Sophisticated commercial and transactional legal experience (required)
- Retail electricity sales or similar experience preferred (but not required for an otherwise strong candidate showing an aptitude for learning and growth)
- Competitive credentials and related experience from corporate in-house, governmental, and/or leading law firm practice preferred
- Ability to work as part of a team with both internal and external stakeholders with diverse cultural backgrounds
- Willingness to show respect in the workplace and strive for excellence at all times
- Ability to prioritize time spent on particular matters by value and risk
- Ability to comfortably reprioritize quickly as needed by the business
- Ability to defend difficult positions and achieve balance with commercial considerations
- Ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure
- Ability to work well within a team framework
- Ability to work technically independent with strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office products and software (desktop and web based) regularly used by attorneys
Employees in this job participate in complex legal matters and projects and deliver timely and quality legal services to clients with moderate supervision.Job Duties & Responsibilities
• Provides written and oral legal advice to clients
• Anticipates and guards against legal risks involving the organization
• Works to ensure budget compliance and avoids the need for outside counsel
• Ensures disclosure of potentially material legal issues to senior leadership
• Performs other job-related duties as assignedRequired Qualifications
• Member in Good Standing of State Bar
• High School Grad / GED
• Juris Doctorate
• Bachelor's Degree
• Experience:3+ yearsPreferred Qualifications
Employee Group: Exempt
Employee Type: Full Time
Job Category: Legal/Regulatory/External Affairs
Organization: Gexa Energy LP
Relocation Provided: Yes, if applicable
Where permitted by applicable law, NextEra Energy requires all employees and new hires to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 or be willing to receive the COVID-19 vaccination on or before the first day of employment.
NextEra Energy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, color, age, national origin, religion, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetics, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by law. We are committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace.
NextEra Energy provides reasonable accommodation in its application and selection process for qualified individuals, including accommodations related to compliance with conditional job offer requirements, consistent with federal, state, and local laws. Supporting medical or religious documentation will be required where applicable and permitted by applicable law. To request a reasonable accommodation, please send an e-mail to [ Link removed ] , providing your name, telephone number and the best time for us to reach you. Alternatively, you may call
. Please do not use this line to inquire about your application status.
NextEra Energy will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.
NextEra Energy does not accept any unsolicited resumes or referrals from any third-party recruiting firms or agencies. Please see our [ Link removed ] for more information.
Nearest Major Market: Houston
- Business Requirements
- Consumer Protection
- Electrical Installation Work