is actively seeking a highly motivated Senior Human Systems Integration Engineer
to support testing and design activities for the US Coast Guard (USCG) Human Systems Integration Division (CG-1B3) in Washington, DC
. The successful candidate will work closely with the USCG Ship Design Team and various USCG Program Offices as the USCG designs and builds its future fleet of cutters and boats.
The candidate’s responsibilities may include (but are not limited to) performing, supporting, or supervising the following task areas:
- Provide Human Systems Integration functions in the domains of Human Factors Engineering, Habitability, System Safety, Manpower and Personnel, and Human Performance Support and Training for detailed work, from concept phase to contract design.
- Conduct research, development, design, testing, modeling functions to build design standards and incorporate Human Systems Integration in all associated domains.
- Conduct studies of ship systems and spaces to factor human interaction, habitability, system safety considerations, manpower impacts, and human performance support and training interventions.
- Work with stakeholders to identify areas in ship design that need improvement, increased consideration for HSI.
Security Clearance Requirements
- Due to the requirements of the federal contract that this position supports, U.S. citizenship is required. Citizenship will be confirmed via I-9/E-Verify at the start of employment.
- Must already possess or be able to qualify for and obtain upon hire a SECRET security clearance, and maintain it for the duration of employment.
- An existing SECRET security clearance is highly preferred.
Required Education, Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
Additional Preferred Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Factor Engineering or related field. In lieu of a BS degree, one of the following may be considered as a substitute:
- Three (3) years of recent, relevant work experience (in addition to other experience requirements).
- Associate degree plus four (4) years of recent, relevant work experience (in addition to other experience requirements).
- Ten (10) years of relevant professional experience, including at least five (5) years of experience applying Human Systems Integration (HSI) in a system design environment.
- Experience obtained in a USCG, Navy, or DoD environment is highly preferred.
- At least one (1) year of demonstrated experience with U.S. shipbuilding acquisitions.
- At least one (1) year of demonstrated experience supporting a major system acquisition program (DHS/USCG Level I, DoD ACAT I, or equivalent).
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate across multiple stakeholders such as Program Offices, Systems Engineers, Technical Experts, and Sponsors Representatives.
- Ability to build and maintain working relationships is critical to being successful in this position.
- Ability to perform with minimal direction and oversight i.e. be able to identify and communicate what needs to be done and then do it, and keep CG-1B3 and SDT informed regarding progress and status.
- Proficient with common productivity software including Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint, and Outlook).
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Highly organized with attention to detail.
- Comfortable and capable of interacting with Government, contractor, and Active Duty military personnel.
Typical Physical Activity
- Experience in formal program documentation of the HFE processes and products in a format consistent with US Military Data Item Descriptions (e.g. Human Engineering Program Plan, Human Engineering Design Approach Document – Operator, Human Engineering Test Plan, Human Engineering Test Report).
- Experience providing HSI expertise and management support for maritime system design and acquisition programs.
- Familiarity with the application of military standards (such as MIL-STL-1472, MIL-STD-1474, MIL-STD-1787, MIL-STD-3009, MIL-STD 411F, and JSSG-2010) in HFE design practice.
- Familiarity with the USCG Standard Workstation and associated software/tools.
- This position’s essential functions typically include (but are not limited to): typing, hearing, sitting, talking, vision, and walking.
THOR Solutions, LLC is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. THOR considers all qualified applicants for employment, without regard to race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status.
Please be aware that many of our positions require the ability to obtain a security clearance. Security clearances may only be granted to U.S. citizens.
Founded in 2009, THOR Solutions, LLC
(THOR) is a rapidly growing Center for Veteran’s Excellence (CVE) verified Service Disabled Veteran Owned Small Business (SDVOSB) providing mission critical support across the Department of Defense, federal civilian agencies and commercial maritime industry, worldwide. THOR provides innovative and tailored expertise in multidisciplinary engineering, project and program management, business and financial management, technical support, integrated logistics support, training support, fleet support, corporate operations support, assessments and studies. THOR is privileged to deliver service solutions to the nation’s most complex military, public sector and industry challenges.THOR is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer
. THOR considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran. THOR complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment.THOR is proud to be a Veteran-Friendly Employer
. THOR does not discriminate against a qualified applicant because of their status as a protected veteran, or their relationship or association with a protected veteran. This includes spouses and other family members.
If you are an individual with a disability and would like to request a reasonable accommodation as part the employment selection process, please contact us at
If you would like to view a copy of THOR’s affirmative action plan, please email
- Attention To Detail
- Engineering Design Process
- Mergers And Acquisitions