The University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Department of Psychiatry is seeking a Social Work Specialist I (LISW) to provide specialized social work services in areas of individual psychotherapy, group psychotherapy, psychosocial care coordination, social casework, consultation, program development, teaching/training, and research for cancer patients and their families treated in Stead Family Children’s Hospital.
The Pediatric Psycho-Oncology Program is dedicated to proactively assessing and addressing the emotional and mental health aspects of care for all oncology patients treated in Stead Family Children’s Hospital. Fully integrated with the Pediatric Hematology/Oncology team in the Department of Pediatrics, this program provides an essential component of care to cancer patients and their families. As we continue to develop a psycho-oncology team which can provide comprehensive mental health care to this patient population, we are seeking a Licensed Independent Social Worker (LISW) with experience in providing research-proven therapy to patients and families in a dynamic and collaborative setting.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Practice specialized social work skills (eg. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy) with patients, clients and their families).
- Responsible for program planning and implementation of social work service to groups of patients or clients and their families for whom highly specialized treatment and care is provided.
- Assist in the development of novel social services components for the Pediatric Psycho-Oncology Program
- Provide information on pediatric oncology psychosocial priorities.
- Responsible for the coordination of after-care, follow-up or other special programs.
- Provide consultation to social workers in other health or social agencies.
- Responsible for internal and external community relations.
- Attend and coordinate pediatric psychosocial oncology programmatic conferences and workshops.
- Teach diagnostic and treatment skills to social workers and other professionals and support staff.
- Provide information to other social workers in the area of practice and in areas of specialized competence.
- Consult, initiate and participate in social work research.
- Assistant with the preparation of grant proposals.
- Maintain effective working relationships with faculty, staff, students and the public.
Classification: Social Work Specialist I PD25
Percent of Time: 50 - 100%
Staff Type: Allied Health Professional
A Master's degree in Social Work is required.
An LISW - Independent License to practice social work in Iowa is required.
Certification by the Academy of Certified Social Workers is desirable.
- Minimum 3-5 years Social Work experience is required.
- Experience with individual and family counseling is required.
- Demonstrated experience with evidence-based practices including but not limited to Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Dialectical Behavior Therapy, and Interpersonal Psychotherapy is required.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills are required.
- Demonstrated experience collaborating as part of multi-disciplinary care teams, including ability to effect change and resolve recalcitrant problems is required.
- Additional graduate education and/or continuing education related to advanced Social Work practice and skill.
- Experience providing assessments of patients presenting with a wide range of behavioral health complaints.
- Experience providing individual, family, and group therapy services.
- Social work experience with cancer patients.
To be considered, applicants must upload a Cover Letter and Resume (under submission relevant materials) that clearly address how they meet the listed required and desired qualifications of this position.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of 14 calendar days. This job may be removed from posting and filled any time after the minimum posting period has ended.
Successful candidates will be subject to a criminal background check. Professional references will be required later in the recruitment process. For questions, contact Lori Posey at [ Email address blocked ] - Click here to apply to Social Work Specialist I - Pediatric Oncology - Department of Psychiatry.
- Classification Title: Social Work Specialist I
- Appointment Type: SEIU
- Schedule: Full-time
Equal opportunity/affirmative action employer
The University of Iowa is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment free from discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, national origin, age, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, religion, associational preference, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Persons with disabilities who need assistance or accommodations with the application or interview process may contact University Human Resources/Faculty and Staff Disability Services,
or [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Social Work Specialist I - Pediatric Oncology - Department of Psychiatry
. For jobs in UI Health care, please contact UI Health care Leave & Disability Administration at
- Behavioral Medicine
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy