UnitedHealthcare is a company that's on the rise. We're expanding in multiple directions, across borders and, most of all, in the way we think. Here, innovation isn't about another gadget, it's about transforming the health care industry. Ready to make a difference? Make yourself at home with us and start doing your life's best work.(sm)
The Underwriter position can be a permanent career position for those that enjoy the work. For those that have requested and were approved for advancement further into the underwriting career path, they will receive additional on the job training and an increase in responsibilities to adequately prepare the individual for a successful transition to the next job grade and related expectations. The career path would require that the person participates at this level for minimally 3 to 5 years to acquire the fundamentals prior to promotion to the next grade level. Advancement opportunities outside of these guidelines are exceptions but can be approved if evaluated and approved by UW management. If the individual or team lead/mentor deems that the underwriting career path is not optimal, the person has the ability to retain the position as an Underwriter, assuming performance and expectations in that position can be met.
The incumbent is responsible to achieve profit, growth, service and expense objectives through basic financial analysis and management of a book of business.
You’ll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
- Works to underwrite cases where general and some complex underwriting principles will be applied and a strong command of the rating tools is required. Frequency of case review will be based on team lead’s decision and in accordance to case level review policies
- Obtains Field Office staff acceptance of expense and reserve levels necessary to achieve planned expense recovery and underwriting gain objectives
- Executes financial management on a book of business
- Assists and participates in creating and negotiating financial arrangements and settlements through Sales with some client and / or broker contact when necessary
- General communications will be mostly with internal sales. There will be limited interactions with brokers
- Underwrites a number of new firms or new coverage and major benefit revisions
- Provides direction to other areas in resolving service or claim issues that have financial implications
- Maintain up -to - date knowledge of applicable health plans and related products
- Explain underwriting principles and pricing recommendations to sales and brokers and be able to present position based on your knowledge of underwriting, competition, product, understanding of the client needs, etc.
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships with Underwriters, AMT members and multi-site coordinators
- Identifies needs and makes recommendations for new/improved underwriting processes and procedures
- Support and / or lead underwriting projects as assigned
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- BA/BS degree
- 3+ years in Accounting or Finance
- 3+ years Underwriting experience
- Possesses a solid command of basic underwriting principles and can defend the meaning and position
- Underwrites business using basic knowledge of risk assessment and pricing for medical products. Can develop required premium/fees and analyze results for reasonability. Makes appropriate decision on how to proceed. Makes recommendations for changes based on financial analysis, underwriting principles and business strategy
- Healthcare background preferably in Managed Care
- Identifies and supports process improvement through automation or business change
- Solid organizational skills
- Solid financial analysis, problem solving and critical decision making skills
- Exhibits effective personal communication skills in the areas of listening, speaking and writing. Possess professional written and verbal skills and formal presentation abilities
- Demonstrates negotiation skills. Handles difficult situations diplomatically
- Openly and actively communicates information and takes initiatives to communicate extensively
- Confronts issues directly and speaks candidly
- Influences others without having direct authority
- Projects a credible image
- Demonstrates knowledge of the importance of effective and timely communication
- Demonstrate a high level of commitment to customer/client service. Anticipates, understands and strives to meet customer/client needs. Seeks feedback from customers
- Handles sensitive and confidential information and confidences appropriately and diplomatically
- Acts in a fair and hones manner consistent with the Company’s Code of Conduct
- Treats others with respect
- Maintains high standards of personal integrity
- Ability to prioritize and respond effectively to numerous demands
- Results oriented
- Communication skills
- Analysis and problem solving
- Planning and organizing
- Excel and Word skills
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment.
Careers at UnitedHealthcare Employer & Individual. We all want to make a difference with the work we do. Sometimes we're presented with an opportunity to make a difference on a scale we couldn't imagine. Here, you get that opportunity every day. As a member of one of our elite teams, you'll provide the ideas and solutions that help nearly 25 million customers live healthier lives. You'll help write the next chapter in the history of health care. And you'll find a wealth of open doors and career paths that will take you as far as you want to go. Go further. This is your life's best work.(sm)
Colorado, Connecticut or Nevada Residents Only: The salary range for Colorado residents is $54,400 to $97,000. The salary range for Connecticut / Nevada residents is $60,000 to $106,700. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives.
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.