This position is responsible for supporting and leading all CNC programs throughout the tool room and scheduling. This person will provide lead responsibilities to the tool room.
• Define, Design, Order, Review and implement all tooling associated with the manufacturing of parts on CNC machinery; working with tool design as required
• Create / Maintain CNC programs in the vault; including set up sheets, tooling, models, and associated documentation required to accurately account for the design configuration of CNC tooling
• Mentor and train tool room personnel in the set-up / operation of CNC equipment, and the programming and use of MasterCam software to ensure proper equipment optimization
• Recommends and implements process and productivity improvements
• Set clear objectives for tool room personnel and measure results
• Proven leadership abilities and the ability to work with and on a team
• Work with VMI vendors in setting and controlling the appropriate inventory levels in the tool crib
• Order tooling, parts, and materials utilizing Oracle
• Collaborates with tooling manager to implement corrective actions including re-training of tool room personnel
• Ensure the tool room personnel follow all safety policies & procedures and making sure the equipment is operated in a clean and safe manner
• Oversee all CNC machinery and associated processes
• Supervise / Manage tool room in absence of tooling
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities & Qualifications
• Associate’s degree in machining technology or equivalent from 2-year college/technical school or 2-3 years related experience and/or training or journeyman’s papers
• Effective oral and written communication skills and the ability to work with and support internal support groups
• Ability to perform addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division in all units of measure. Must possess strong basic shop math skills
• Strong PC skills including the Microsoft Office Suite; primarily Excel and Word
• Strong knowledge of Oracle Software
Other Skills and Abilities
• 5 + years in a programming role
• 2 + years in a lead or supervisory role
• Proficiency with programming utilizing MasterCam and setting up and running CNC machinery
• Strong knowledge of high speed machining / shrink fits
• Experience with CMM systems
• Knowledge of TPM methodologies and procedures
• Knowledge of Lean Principles, QDC, 5S and Continuous Improvement Process
• Experience with CAD software (Solidworks)
• Experience with Chess Application software a plus
• Heat treat knowledge or experience a plus
• Hard surface machining knowledge or experience a plus
• Ability to tackle a problem by using a logical, systematic, sequential approach
• Ability to identify the information needed to clarify a situation, seek that information from appropriate sources, and use skillful questioning to draw out the information
• Strong mechanical aptitude/ability with working knowledge of injection molding presses, stamping presses, press controls, molds, dies and tooling
• Knowledge of Lean Principles, QDC, 5S, and Continuous Improvement Process
• Lock-Out/Tag-Out Certification
• Press Training Certification
Physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these functions.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand on concrete floor with/without floor mats; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms (which may include above and/or below shoulders). The employee is regularly required to use left and/or right hand for simple grasping, fine work, pushing/pulling. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus as well as ability to distinguish changes in shade of color.
• While performing the duties of this job, the associate may need the ability to lift and carry up to 20 to 30 lbs. On a rare occasion, may be required to lift up to 50 lbs assisted.
• The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accomomodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts and vibration. The employee is regularly exposed to pounding and impacting. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; fumes or airborne particles; extreme cold; extreme heat and risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud. Wearing PPE is required.
Ames offers competitive compensation and an excellent benefits package including Medical, Dental, Vision, 401(k), Tuition Reimbursement, paid holidays & vacation, and more. We are an equal opportunity employer and a drug-free workplace.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.
Coordinate Measuring Machine (Cmm)