EchoStar Corporation (NASDAQ: SATS) headquartered in Englewood, CO, with additional locations world-wide, is a premier global provider of satellite solutions and technology services. Together with its major subsidiaries—EchoStar Satellite Services and Hughes Network Systems— EchoStar offers employees the opportunity to explore the boundaries of what’s possible in the fields of engineering and the business functions transforming this engineering into revenue.
We are seeking an experienced and exceptionally talented Senior Accounting Assistant to support Corporate Accounts Payable in our Finance Organization. The candidate selected for this position will join a TEAM of individuals focused on operational excellence and strength-based disbursement responsibilities in Gaithersburg, MD with potential growth opportunity to a global Accounts Payable organization. This role is based at our Gaithersburg, MD and will report to the Director of Disbursement Accounting. The right candidate for this position must not only possess the accounts payable technical skills to handle their accounts successfully, they must also have demonstrated systems, process and account documentation controls experience. The key to this position is to get all disbursements done timely, accurately and efficiently and ensure that communication with their vendors is kept up to date and with the right measure of professionalism and strength.
- Manage and ensure accuracy in all phases of the Accounts Payable processing cycle to include: Invoice receipt/error detection, organization & control, processing through payment.
- Responsible for managing a portfolio of vendor accounts and picking up specialized projects that will require this candidate to interface with various staffing levels across the company and external vendors
- Process invoices according to an Accounts Payable cycle to include: 3-way match, sales tax application, approval and payment according to established payment terms.
- Organize all invoices for weekly check run or according to preferred payment method.
- Match check copies to the appropriate vendor invoices and ensure that all remittance back up is included with payment.
- Complete monthly service invoice accruals and be available for all month end close activities.
- Work closely with Procurement and the vendor on all invoice discrepancies including price, quantity or goods receipt issues.
- Team with individuals and managers across the entire EchoStar organization to ensure timely and accurate accounts payable processing.
- Review vendor statements regularly to confirm that all invoices listed have been received and that accounts are up to date and in good standing.
- Participate in all audits as required and certify that all processes and procedures as set as the standard and governance for the team are being upheld.
- Responsible for the accuracy, balancing and reconciliation of all accounts payable related general ledger postings. In addition, provide timely response(s) to management inquiries for accounts payable variances within the company’s monthly financial statements.
- Assist the general ledger team with all account reconciliations related to accounts payable activity.
- Capable of volunteering for other special projects as required.
- Provides accurate and detailed information to employees/management as requested with respect to confidential and time sensitive matters; additionally, provides clear oral and written communication that reflects excellent customer service.
- Maintain and grow strong business relationships with internal partners including program management, senior management, peers, Accounting, HR, IT and other company management.
- Work with Internal Audit to uphold a strong internal control environment (SOX) by ensuring effective business controls are in place and compliance is maintained as well as monitor audit findings and implement corrective actions as necessary.
- Continue to develop individually as a professional to contribute to the department and to keep up with the other team members in order to achieve operational excellence as a group.
- High School diploma or GED
- A minimum of 7 years of experience in Accounts Payable, preferably in a large corporate environment
- Knowledge of SAP Accounts Payable system or equivalent ERP
- Strong administrative and organizational skills.
- Efficient use of Microsoft Office applications expected (Excel and Word) as well as 10-key calculator.
- Resilient communication skills to work through analysis and issues that arise on accounts independently and drive them to a conclusion.
- Bring a hands-on attitude with strong account management and leadership skills.
- Strong interpersonal, written and presentation skills with external and internal customers at all levels within a team or organization.
- Some project team experience with the ability to independently participate, execute, and deliver on projects in a timely manner; following pre-established schedules determined by management.
- Able to independently problem-solve and make decisions.
- Excellent at attention to detail with strong analytical and organizational skills.
- A team player with a desire to contribute high quality work resulting in success for the overall team and company.
- A proven ability to be decisive, resolve issues quickly and deliver on commitments and deadlines.
- Demonstrated creativity and flexibility in problem solving and project collaboration.
- Organization and prioritization skills with an ability to process a large volume of mail, invoices and inquiries on a day to day basis.
EchoStar and its Affiliated Companies are committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, protected veteran status, disability, or any other basis protected by local, state, or federal law. U.S. Citizenship is required for certain positions. EEO is the law.
Preparing Accounts Payable
Clerical Accounting Work