PN# 28625 Houston TranStar Executive Director (ASSISTANT DIRECTOR - PUBLIC WORKS - EXE LEV)
Workdays & Hours: Monday – Friday, 8 am – 5 pm*
*Subject to change
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
The Executive Director works under the direction of the Houston TranStar Executive Committee, comprising executives from the City of Houston, Harris County, the Texas Department of Transportation and the Metropolitan Transit Authority of Harris County. The Executive Director develops, coordinates and implements a long-range plan for Houston TranStar and submits and manages an annual budget supporting the plan. The Executive Director facilitates communications between government agencies, emergency managers, traffic incident managers, and transportation managers and directors. The position oversees the maintenance of and improvements to Houston TranStar, ensuring that the facility is kept in optimal condition.
Responsibilities and Specific Duties:
1. Prepares, submits for approval, and administers the annual budget.
2. Researches, coordinates and administers outside funding sources to supplement local resources.
• Public, Marketing and Education:
1. Oversees outreach programs to educate area residents on the role and benefits of TranStar. Garners community support for and engagement in TranStar programs.
2. Represents the Consortium at government policy and technical meetings and at industry conventions and civic functions.
3. Coordinates with elected officials and community leaders.
1. Supervises and directs the activities of staff assigned to the office from collaborating agencies.
2. Oversees facility management and improvements.
3. Schedules and conducts multi-agency project coordination and management meetings.
4. Promotes policy changes that enable additional Center functionality by using new technology.
5. Coordinates building operations during activation of the Emergency Operations Center.
6. Works with staff to identify, discuss, review and resolve conflicts and ensure smooth consortium operation.
7. Administers special projects, as needed.
This position is physically comfortable; the individual has some discretion about standing, walking, etc.
This is a Department of Public Works & Engineering Emergency Management position at the Tier I Level.
Requires a thorough understanding of both theoretical and practical aspects of an analytical, technical or professional discipline; or the basic knowledge of more than one professional discipline. Knowledge of the discipline would normally be obtained through a formal 4-year degree from a college or university and a professional certification/licensing is required.EXPERIENCE
More than ten years of experience is required.
Preference will be given to candidates who possess:
Knowledge and Experience:
- Progressively responsible experience, preferably in transportation technology, public outreach, and project management.
- Working knowledge of Emergency Management operations.
- Working knowledge of Traffic Management Center operations and Intelligent Transportation Systems.
- Experience in preparing budgets, managing expenditures, tracking costs and revenues.
- Experience in program coordination.
- Experience in facilities maintenance.
Education and Skill Preferences:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Management, Public Policy, Communications, Engineering or a related field (Master’s Degree preferred).
- At least three years in a managerial capacity.
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written
Professional Certification/Licensing: Include, but not limited to, engineering, planning, and emergency management.**Preference shall be given to eligible veteran applicants provided such persons possess the qualifications necessary for competent discharge of the duties involved in the position applied for, such persons are among the most qualified candidates for the position, and all other factors in accordance with Executive Order 1-6.**
SELECTION/SKILLS TESTS REQUIRED
None; however, the Department may administer a skill assessment evaluation.
SAFETY IMPACT POSITION Yes
If yes, this position is subject to random drug testing and if a promotional position, candidate must pass an assignment drug test.
Factors used in determining the salary offered include the candidate's qualifications as well as the pay rates of other employees in this classification.
Pay Grade 34
Only online applications will be accepted for this City of Houston job and must be received by the Human Resources Department during active posting period. Applications must be submitted online at: [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Houston TranStar Executive Director (ASSISTANT DIRECTOR - PUBLIC WORKS - EXE LEV).
To view your detailed application status, please log-in to your online profile by visiting: [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Houston TranStar Executive Director (ASSISTANT DIRECTOR - PUBLIC WORKS - EXE LEV) or call
If you need special services or accommodations, call
. (TTY 7-1-1)
If you need login assistance or technical support call
Due to the high volume of applications received, the Hiring Department will contact you directly, should you be selected to advance in our recruitment process.
All new and rehires must pass a pre-employment drug test and are subject to a physical examination and verification of information provided. EEO Equal Employment Opportunity
The City of Houston is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and providing a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based upon any legally protected status or protected characteristic, including but not limited to an individual's sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity, or pregnancy.
- Facility Management
- Financial Management