The goals of the internship are to 1) educate the intern on the essential functions of the Purchasing Department in manufacturing, 2) provide the intern with practical purchasing experience in a manufacturing environment, and 3) assist the Purchasing Department in accomplishing department goals and objectives.
The ideal candidate will have a background or field of study in Supply Chain Management or a related field with a minimum 3.0 or higher GPA. An understanding of lean manufacturing techniques and Continuous Improvement is a huge plus in this role. The candidate should have the ability to balance multiple tasks at one time and hit deadlines without compromising results or productivity. Strong skills in Microsoft Office are important. Excel VLOOKUP and pivot tables are key, additional experience with SmartSheet valuable. The candidate will need analytical and critical thinking skills. The candidate should have a positive approach and be a problem-solver, focused on finding solutions, and should be comfortable recommending changes. The ideal candidate will possess interpersonal and communications skills with various personality types, as well as the ability to write professional memos and letters. Prior work experience in purchasing or manufacturing helpful.
Essential Job Functions
The intern will be responsible for completing the following tasks, along with other associated tasks as assigned:
- Update purchase orders (includes vendor confirmations, shipment/delivery dates, prices, quantities, splits, priorities).
- Update and analyze KPI’s, MRP, shipment of goods & overall inventory trends.
- Document and update training materials (Procedures & Processes).
- Analyze costs, negotiate contracts, and consolidate where appropriate.
- Lead small projects in analyzing work-streams and understanding inefficiencies and recommending countermeasures.
- Accomplishes all tasks as appropriately assigned or requested.
- Establish VMI customers by understanding purchasing history quantity and cost.