IF YOU CARE, THERE'S A PLACE FOR YOU HERE
For a career path that is both challenging and rewarding, join Sedgwick's talented team of 21,000 colleagues around the globe. Sedgwick is a leading provider of technology-enabled risk, benefits and integrated business solutions. Taking care of people is at the heart of everything we do. Millions of people and organizations count on Sedgwick each year to take care of their needs when they face a major life event or something unexpected happens. Whether they have a workplace injury, suffer property or financial loss or damage from a natural or manmade disaster, are involved in an auto or other type of accident, or need time away from work for the birth of a child or another medical situation, we are here to provide compassionate care and expert guidance. Our clients depend on our talented colleagues to take care of their most valuable assets -- their employees, their customers and their property. At Sedgwick, caring counts®. Join our team of creative and caring people of all backgrounds, and help us make a difference in the lives of others.
As the largest provider of disability and absence management solutions, Sedgwick offers a combination of services covering every possible time away from work scenario. Our clients depend on us to support and improve the health and productivity of their workforce in a way that is cost-effective, efficient and compliant.
: To analyze reported claims, determine benefits due and make timely payments and adjustments; to medically manage disability claims; to coordinate investigative efforts and to thoroughly review contested claims; to evaluate and arrange appropriate referral of claims to outside vendors; and to negotiate settlement of claims up to the designated authority level.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS and RESPONSIBILITIES
ADDITIONAL FUNCTIONS and RESPONSIBILITIES
- Analyzes, approves and authorizes assigned claims and determines benefits due pursuant to a disability plan.
- Determines benefits due, makes timely claims payments and adjustments for workers compensation, Social Security Disability Income (SSDI), and other disability offsets.
- Medically manages disability claims ensuring compliance with duration control guidelines and plan provisions.
- Communicates clearly with claimant and client on all aspects of claims process either by phone and/or written correspondence.
- Informs claimants of documentation required to process claims, required time frames, payment information and claims status either by phone, written correspondence and/or claims system.
- Coordinates investigative efforts ensuring appropriateness; provides thorough review of contested claims.
- Evaluates and arranges appropriate referral of claims to outside vendors for surveillance, independent medical evaluation, functional capability evaluation, and/or related disability activities.
- Refers cases as appropriate to supervisor and management.
- Negotiates settlement of claims up to designated authority level.
- Maintains professional client relationships.
Education & Licensing
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Supports the organization's quality program(s).
Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in nursing, social work or vocational rehabilitation is preferred. One or more of the following licenses is required: RN, LVN, CRC, COHN, CVE, LPC or LCSW.
Four (4) years of benefits or disability claims management experience or equivalent combination of education and experience required.
Skills & Knowledge
- Knowledge of ERISA regulations, required offsets and deductions, disability duration and medical management practices and Social Security application procedures
- Excellent oral and written communication, including presentation skills
- PC literate, including Microsoft Office products
- Analytical and interpretive skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Excellent negotiation skills
- Ability to meet or exceed Performance Competencies
When applicable and appropriate, consideration will be given to reasonable accommodations.
Clear and conceptual thinking ability; excellent judgment, troubleshooting, problem solving, analysis, and discretion; ability to handle work-related stress; ability to handle multiple priorities simultaneously; and ability to meet deadlines
Computer keyboarding, travel as required
Hearing, vision and talking
Credit security clearance, confirmed via a background credit check, is required for this position.
The statements contained in this document are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by a colleague assigned to this description. They are not intended to constitute a comprehensive list of functions, duties, or local variances. Management retains the discretion to add or to change the duties of the position at any time.
Sedgwick is an Equal Opportunity Employer
monster #LI-TS *LI-TS
Social Security Disability Insurance
Employee Retirement Income Security Act