Handles and processes all optical-related tasks with patients and vendors. Demonstrates a high level of customer service and knowledge to answer all optical-related inquiries.Education
- High School Diploma or GED required
- 1-2 years 2 years experience working in an ophthalmic, optometric, or optical practice Required
Licenses and Certifications
- Certified Optician through ABO (American Board of Opticianry) must be earned within 2 years of employment with MedStar Eye Institute Required
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Clinical competency as verified.
- Excellent customer service/patient interaction skills.
- Basic computer skills preferred.
- Contributes to the achievement of established department goals and objectives and adheres to department policies, procedures, quality standards, and safety standards. Complies with governmental and accreditation regulations.
- Answers telephone and patient inquiries. Strong customer services and a professional appearance.
- Collects payments from patients. Files and follows up on insurance claims for optical transaction.
- Demonstrates behavior consistent with MedStar Health mission, vision, goals, objectives and patient care philosophy.
- Distributes and stocks frame orders.
- May be required to perform front-desk duties.
- Notifies patients when order has been received and verified.
- Participates in multidisciplinary quality and service improvement teams as appropriate. Participates in meetings, serves on committees and represents the department and hospital/facility in community outreach efforts as appropriate.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Processes eyewear orders with outside companies and labs. Verifies orders from the lab for accuracy. Notifies patients if lab has any delays with order.
- Runs sales status reports daily and monthly.
- Uses precision equipment to measure various eye features, including corneal thickness and pupil distance. Adjusts and performs minor repairs to eyewear. May be required to grind and tint lenses and fitting contact lenses.
- Writes optical orders for eyewear.
- Claim Processing
- Clinical Works
- Customer Service
- Health Care
- Multidisciplinary Approach
- Occupational Safety And Health