As a MTM - Mechanical at Cleveland-Cliffs Steel, your contributions will be visible all around you; the work we do here impacts people for generations to come. Ideal candidates enjoy modern, dynamic, supportive work environments and are looking for the freedom to take control of their career.
The MTM – Mechanical position reports to the Maintenance Manager. The primary functions of the position is to inspect, repair, replace, install, adjust and maintain all mechanical equipment in a major producing unit or assigned area including overhead cranes and mobile equipment.
- Perform all kinds of welding, brazing, and cutting. Lay out, install, maintain, and repair all types of pipelines, fittings, and fixtures.
- Inspect mill equipment for defects such as misalignment, wear or insufficient lubrication.
- Troubleshoot repairs to minimize interruption of production.
- Advise when immediate shutdown of equipment is necessary to minimize damage or when temporarily continued operation will have no harmful effect.
- Dismantle, clean, repair, replace, install, maintain, assemble, and lubricate mechanical equipment.
- Adjust equipment for proper operating characteristics.
- Assemble and align gears, bearings, and shafts, involving the application of press, sliding and running fits.
- Babbitt and scrape bearings as required.
- Set up and operate welding and burning equipment as required and layout and fabricate welded pipe and fitting of all types.
- Perform pipefitting as required cuts, threads and installs pipes and fitting.
- Lay out and fabricate new parts for machines and structures, except pressure vessel and tanks.
- Make mechanical repairs to cranes.
- Locks out and tags necessary to the servicing of mechanical components on cranes.
- Erect scaffolds and perform simple rigging as necessary.
- Work with repair crews as directed on emergency breakdowns.
- Operate mobile equipment and hydraulic lifts when required.
- Repack pumps and valves.
- Repair and replacement of hydraulic and pneumatic equipment.
- Operate trackmobile for coke car loading which can entail handling of hazardous materials and/or waste.
Applicants for this position must be currently legally authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis. The company generally does not sponsor candidates for temporary visas or permanent residency for this position.
Cleveland-Cliffs Inc. is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to or call
- High school diploma or GED equivalent required and must be at least 18 years of age.
- Candidates must successfully pass a Ramsey mechanical test and perform burning and welding.
- Must have welding experience
- Must be able to interpret drawings, layout and plan work, erection, dismantling, rigging and assembly of complex structural shapes.
- Must be able to operate various machine and hand tools.
- Work experience as a Millwright in a manufacturing environment is a plus.
- Must be able to work around hazardous material and in confined spaces.
- Ability to read, understand and follow safety information, operating instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Must be able to wear appropriate PPE
- Must be able to work at heights, work in extreme heat and cold, must be willing to work a rotating shift that shall include weekends and holidays, as well as climb and or walk on uneven surfaces
1-(312) 899-3097 and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Do not email your application materials to this email address. Application materials sent to this email address will not be considered.
As a company, we are doing what we can to keep all our employees safe and healthy. It is the current expectation that ALL Cleveland-Cliffs employees will be vaccinated against COVID-19 as soon as possible. Before accepting an offer of employment you must certify that you are fully vaccinated. Cleveland-Cliffs reserves the right to require proof of vaccination.
Cleveland-Cliffs Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, military or veteran status, disability, sex (including sexual orientation and gender identity), genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. The following links provide information regarding your Equal Employment Opportunity rights and protections: [ Link removed ] and [ Link removed ] . We are a drug-free workplace and conduct pre-employment screening as a condition of employment.
- Confined Spaces
- Construction Toolkits
- Medical Emergency