Job Functions, Duties, Responsibilities and Position Qualifications:
Schedule: Full-time, Saturday availability
Position Summary: Responsible for accurately obtaining blood samples via venipuncture and capillary collection procedures with minimum customer discomfort. Provides care to patients whose ages range from infant to geriatric. Ensures specimen integrity by adhering to the laboratory’s procedures for specimen collection, handling, and processing. Adheres to departmental policies and procedures to include departmental programs, quality control, quality assurance, and safety.
- Utilize technical skills and abilities to perform accurate venipuncture and capillary blood collection. Utilizes technical skills and abilities to accurately handle and process specimens.
- Follows laboratory procedures for specimen collection and handling.
- Correctly identifies patient and properly labels specimens.
- Correctly identifies and utilizes proper tubes, containers, transport media, and storage temperature for each test type.
- Correctly identifies proper priority for collection process.
- Follows appropriate guidelines as established by the laboratory for missed draws, recollects, or difficult sticks.
- Utilizes job knowledge, judgment, and problem solving skills to ensure quality.
- Utilizes resources for proper collection and processing of requested tests.
- Utilizes resources to answer inquiries for test information and basic customer related issues.
- Understands and follows all safety, infection control, and OSHA Blood Borne Pathogen guidelines.
- Understands and follows all CPL Compliance policies.
- Understands and follows all HIPAA guidelines.
- Participates in departmental quality assurance programs.
- Participates in any laboratory training programs.
- Effectively utilizes departmental resources
- Demonstrates efficiency by timely performing procedures and determining priority.
- Utilizes appropriate supplies with minimal waste.
- Operates equipment to maximize efficiency and minimize down time.
- Utilizes unstructured time constructively.
- Utilizes personal and professional skills to promote customer relations
- Communicates with laboratory staff and its customers to ensure quality patient care.
- Maintains and supports a service oriented relationship with customers.
- Respects and maintains the confidentiality of information relative to customers.
- Strives to maintain a positive work environment.
- Enthusiastically performs miscellaneous duties with completion in a designated time frame, including courier, data entry, and customer service duties as assigned.
Scope: Promotes quality patient/client relations and creates supportive climate by serving as a role model. Respects and maintains the confidentiality of information relative to the laboratory. Adheres to all laboratory policies and regulations. Works with minimal direction, consults with supervisors as needed. Functions as a liaison between the laboratory and the laboratory customers. Operates general laboratory equipment, including but not limited to: telephones, computer keyboards and CRT, centrifuges, and manual pipettes. Effectively communicates via written, verbal, face-to-face, telephone, and computer methods.
This role will have routine access to Protected Health Information (PHI). Employees will be trained on reasonable safeguards and are expected to maintain strict confidentiality, as well as abide by all applicable privacy and security standards. Employees are expected only to access PHI when it is required to fulfill job duties.
Education: High School Diploma or GED
Certification: Preferred – Certified by the American Society of Phlebotomy Technicians
Minimum – training or experience in specimen collection and/or processing.
Preferred – two years of laboratory training or experience in specimen collection and processing.
Skills: Ability to communicate effectively at all levels within the laboratory and with laboratory customers. Ability to read and write.
Reporting Relationship: Reports to Laboratory Patient Service Center Team Leader.
Physical Demands: Requires light to medium lifting and carrying of objects weighing up to 50 pounds. Requires manipulation of tools, objects, and equipment using the following physical motions: pushing, pulling, lifting, reaching above shoulder height, grasping with both hands, pinching with thumb and forefinger, twisting with hand and wrist, climbing under, lifting up, lifting down, and reaching under. Routinely requires coordination of two or more physical operations. Routinely requires visual discrimination of color, size, shape, and motility. Requires ability to hear audible alarms on any temperature monitored equipment and automated analyzers.
Environmental Demands: Works in temperature controlled environment with constant exposure to biological and chemical hazards. May be required to operate fire and safety equipment or follow other safety procedures in an emergency situation. May be required to work with time constraints and crisis situations.
Scheduled Weekly Hours:
Clinical Pathology Laboratories, Inc.
Sonic Healthcare USA provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Customer Relationship Management