To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
- Declo, ID 83323
Sorry, we cannot save or unsave this job right now.
Report this Job
Saving Your Job Alert
Job Alert Saved!
Could not save Job Alert!
You have too many Job Alerts!
Email Send Failed!
Finisher Herd Technician
Smithfield Foods Inc • Declo, ID
Posted 19 days ago
Job:Live Animal Production/Hog
Assist in accomplishing farm workload and reaching farm goals under the direction of the finishing farm leader; assumes responsibility for the farm when the farm leader is absent.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
• Maintain unit biosecurity. Requires showering in and out of facility; work clothing is provided.
• Feed, water, vaccinate, and perform general animal husbandry tasks including basic veterinary procedures.
• Responsible for being in compliance with all environmental laws and procedures to which Smithfield subscribes.
• Report all environmental issues immediately to their supervisor.
• Read and understand the company’s emergency notification process and will be responsible for reviewing that policy at their work site.
• Follow Smithfield animal welfare policies and procedures including: providing a physical environment that meets the animals needs, providing access to adequate water and high quality feed, providing humane treatment of the animals, providing identification and appropriate treatment of animals in need of health care and following the guidelines for euthanasia as written in the Euthanasia Action Plan found in the NPB publication, “On Farm Euthanasia of Swine – Options for the Producer”.
• Maintain accurate records.
• Assist in moving/ shipping animals and maintaining efficient animal flows which includes loading and unloading stock trailers.
• Treat sick animals with a variety of pharmaceuticals by injection, oral application, and/or other methods as required.
• Assist with facility and equipment maintenance.
• Assist with maintaining barn and office cleanliness which includes operating high pressure washing equipment, basic housekeeping, and laundry duties.
• Perform any other tasks necessary for the care of finishing pigs in a confinement facility.
• Climb feed bins.
• Follow the Finishing Standard Operating Procedures.
• Assist Finishing Farm Leader with record keeping.
• Responsible for understanding all safety requirements of the job and for performing the job in compliance with the safety requirements.
• All other duties as assigned.
• Must be able to frequently climb over, under, and around penning.
• Must be able to walk and stand on concrete for 9 to 12 hours per day, walking down narrow alleys and in and out of narrow penning.
• Must be able to walk an average of 2 – 4 miles per day, occasionally up to 5 or 6.
• Must be able to occasionally lift 50 lbs.
• Must be able to occasionally push, pull, and drag up to 200 lbs.
• Must be able to frequently work in situations two feet above the floor in a leaned-over or squatted position.
• Must understand that Smithfield is a producer of high quality pork for human consumption and must be supportive of the mission of raising swine for meat.
• Must be able to tolerate and willing to learn and perform the following tasks: euthanasia, castration, vaccinations, piglet processing, ear tagging for identification, taking blood samples and other procedures normal to animal husbandry.
• Must be able to occasionally operate a high pressure washing system.
• Must be able to work with and around a wide range of antibiotics (i.e. penicillin).
• Must be able to tolerate blood, animal dander, manure, dust, odors, and frequently noisy conditions
• Ability to do hard physical labor
• Math and accurate record keeping skills
• Basic English preferred
• Willingness to work as a team member
• Ability to follow instructions
• Ability to get to work on time and as scheduled
• Maintain PQA Plus & TQA status.
• Must be able to work alone the majority of the time.
• Must be able to work an average 45 hour week with average 9 hour workday, which can vary frequently
• Rotating days off which requires weekend and holiday work.
Job Posting:Apr 4, 2019
Posting End Date:Jul 4, 2019