Sr. Electro-Mechanical Engineer
Location: Troy, Michigan
Full time direct hire
The Electro-mechanical Engineer reports to the Sr. Hardware Engineering Manager and works in a cross-functional development group in the design of Battery Management System (BMS) for multiple customers in both automotive and non-automotive markets. BMS platform is in production use on multiple global OEM Hybrid Electric Vehicles (HEV), Plug-In Hybrid Electric Vehicles (PHEV) and pure Battery Electric Vehicles (BEV). In this dynamic and demanding environment, your responsibilities will be varied but always focused on delivering value to customer projects while working closely with many other parts of our engineering organization. The pace of work is fast and it is important to be able to work effectively and deliver on commitments. There will be opportunities to learn new skills, mentor others, and develop electro-mechanical solutions and architecture using the latest tools and technologies while working on the automotive industry's highest-profile vehicle electrification projects.
- Support electrical architecture development and wiring diagrams for the battery management and related electrical system.
- Work with the Mechanical Battery Pack design team to allocate position and space for Electronic and Electro-mechanical assemblies
- Selection and specification of electro-mechanical components such as connection systems, fuses, wiring, contactors, flex cables, ICBs (cell interface boards), etc
- Review documentation (BOM's, diagrams, sketches, drawings, procedures, and notes), supplier documentation and/or data sheets for design feasibility and alternative sources.
- Work with purchasing according to the component procurement processes. Provide direct advisory support for purchasing operations.
- Conduct, coordinate, and track electro-mechanical root cause failure analysis and implement corrective actions.
- Formally release work products (specifications, designs) into use, including appropriate internal and customer-specific sign-off and release steps for electro-mechanical components.
- Perform Technical Design Reviews within company and with customers. TDRs will be expected at the Concept, Detailed Design, and Production Sign-off stages.
- Create test plans and support the execution of test plans for verifying electro-mechanical hardware.
- Support the Quality and Reliability efforts (e.g., DFMEA, Robustness Assessments, Key-Life Testing) relative to electro-mechanical design and manufacturing
- Bachelors Degree in Mechanical or Electrical/ Electronics Engineering required; Experience minimum 7 years.
- Minimum 5 years' experience in electro-mechanical design and release of modules for automotive or truck applications.
- Understanding of wiring diagrams.
- Working experience with Quality and Reliability disciplines (FMEA, 8D, APQP)
- Experience with mechanical design and GD and T
- Working experience with automotive or commercial truck OEM product release processes strongly preferred, including Engineering Release, PPAP and PSW
Desired Experience and Skills
- Ability to interface well with internal and external customers
- Ability to work independently on a development team
- Understanding of PCB layout and related design rules for automotive applications
- Support PCB layouts for manufacturability for the Battery Management System (BMS)
- Experience working in projects where Functional Safety (ISO 26262) was applied
Failure Mode Effects Analysis
Production Part Approval Process
Advanced Product Quality Planning
Design Failure Mode And Effects Analysis