Requisition ID: 11907
Posting Locations: Annapolis
Click here to view a Day in the Life of our Teammates!
Government Relations Director
REFRESH your career by joining our exceptional team! Coca-Cola Consolidated, the largest bottler in the U.S., is looking for a Government Relations Director!
Things you should know about working as a Government Relations Director:
The successful candidate will execute the company’s political and legislative strategy in Maryland, Delaware, Virginia and the District of Columbia, including specified municipalities in that geography important to the company’s business strategy. Heavy focus will be on developing and maintaining key relationships with state and local policymakers and forging strong community partners, and lobbying in city and state legislative bodies. Additionally, the role will provide regional strategic political, public affairs, and advocacy analysis to the Vice President, Government Relations, and assist with public affairs and advocacy efforts in the region to favorably impact the policy environment in which the company operates. In all activities, the role will be representing the Company and adhering to its Purpose with the highest possible integrity acting as the Public Affairs, Communications and Communities local presence for that department’s strategic initiatives.
What would success look like?
- Manage and execute comprehensive state and local lobbying programs in Maryland, Delaware, Virginia, and the District of Columbia. Plan and host site visits, tours, and other events with policymakers and influencers.
- Represent the Company at appropriate dinners, legislative days, hearings and other gatherings with key policymakers and influencers.
- Develop and maintain relationships with key influencers and policy makers in municipalities of strategic importance to the company with heavy focus on Virginia and Maryland.
- Work with state beverage associations to support industry lobbying efforts in the company’s geography.
- Provide regular briefings on legislation and issues of importance to the company.
- Understand and communicate issue trends important to the industry and recommend strategies to VP Governmental Relations so that company’s public policy strategies and messaging have the highest possible impact.
- Coordinate closely with relevant contacts throughout the company to identify potential issues in advance and leverage resources in policy engagements to maximize the impact of state lobbying efforts.
- Advocate before governments at all levels on behalf of the company.
- Develop and maintain strategic community partnerships. Act in coordination with the department’s community engagement team to activate strategic community initiatives.
- Coordinate any necessary company media outreach and/or response with VP of Communications.
- Takes an active leadership role in the state beverage association(s) through participation in meetings/events. As a key member, provides thought leadership and strategic direction as it relates to issues important to our Company and industry.
- Abilty to execute strategic political and lobbying programs and navigate nuanced political issues and personalities
- Ability to establish and maintain strong and strategic relationships with key influencers.
- Ability to absorb complex legislation in order to understand its possible impact on the beverage industry.
- Ability to understand and summarize complex legislation required.
- Must be a highly motivated self-starter who enjoys a fast-paced environment.
- Proactive individual with excellent, strategic, political and relationship skills.
- Demonstrated proficiency with word processing, and knowledge of spreadsheets and database management.
- College Degree is required
- 5-7 years experience in Politics and/or Governmental Relations preferred.
All candidates will be subject to pre-employment testing: Background Check, Drug Screen, and Physical Abilities Test (if applicable).
Coca-Cola Consolidated, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.