To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
- Norfolk, VA
Sorry, we cannot save or unsave this job right now.
Report this Job
Saving Your Job Alert
Job Alert Saved!
Could not save Job Alert!
You have too many Job Alerts!
Email Send Failed!
Operations Mgr (Norfolk, VA)
Grainger • Norfolk, VA
Posted 5 days ago
Get facts about other applicants with a CareerBuilder Account
Grainger is a broad line, business-to-business distributor of maintenance, repair and operating (MRO) supplies and other related products and services. More than 3.2 million businesses and institutions worldwide rely on Grainger for products such as safety gloves, ladders, motors and janitorial supplies, along with services like inventory management and technical support. These customers represent a broad collection of industries including commercial, government, healthcare and manufacturing. They place orders online, on mobile devices, through sales representatives, over the phone and at local branches. Approximately 5,000 suppliers provide Grainger with more than 1.6 million products stocked in Grainger’s distribution centers and branches worldwide.
The Operations Manager is accountable for all customer service related operational objectives and integrated support of
Customer Service, Keepstock and Sales strategies. Ensures execution of the Customer Service strategic vision and True North objectives through demonstrated leadership in the areas of talent excellence, customer service, sales growth, and cost to serve. While primary focus is on the Branch, Managers operate with a market ownership mindset, aligning decisions to support the overall success of the Market.
Job manages a team, has authority to hire and performance manage the team.
Job leads/supervises/manages 11-15 employees
• Actively engages in strategic thinking, driving empowerment, delegation, and being a role model who helps people link their
work requirements to the success of the company.
• Translates leadership and strategic direction for hourly branch team members based on
• Communicates and executes a sound business strategy to team members that embraces change management.
• Creates a team where team members are engaged, empowered, enthusiastic, and committed to the success of the
• Creates an environment for open, continuous, and proactive communication. Maintains an open mind to benefit from
diverse thoughts and ideas.
• Supports, Writes, and Conducts performance review discussions to ensure that expectations/goals are set, monitored and
• Supports the growth and development of branch team members by providing coaching and development opportunities.
• Makes sound, fact-based business decisions to support the needs and objectives of the business.
• Takes measured risks while being mindful to balance return on investment, service, ethics and integrity.
• Ensures key people drivers of Selection, On-boarding, Coaching, and Rewards & Recognition are executed and support the
Grainger Employee Promise.
• Ensures Exceptional, WOW Service and Operational Excellence of the Branch. Ensures that the Knowledge & Skills of all
team members are developed to provide exceptional customer service.
• Ensures all team members deliver on the Service Promise.
• Ensures proper staffing levels for world class service in Branch and Keepstock channels while controlling expenses.
• Creates an environment that promotes cross-functional teamwork with all business functions. • Drives and promotes
district/region related initiatives.
• Communicates metrics and objectives by holding
him/herself and the team members accountable to results.
• Drives improvement in customer satisfaction results using monitoring and other available tools.
• Supports all sales growth activities including Keepstock and other business initiatives by collaborating with all sales partners
to achieve optimal sales growth.
• Is a customer advocate. May make sales calls or market level engagements to communicate the Grainger Value Advantage
• Builds and maintains professional, supportive relationships with sales partners by creating a say “YES” environment.
• Establishes Community Relationships within his/her market.
Cost to Serve:
• Balances operating expenses with appropriate levels of service, while looking for ways to improve processes and remove
non-value added activities. • Plans and forecasts using relevant metrics to help drive profitability and service excellence.
• Effectively monitors controllable expenses to achieve the assigned expense to sales ratio goal. • Builds a continuous
improvement (CI) culture by promoting CI methodologies and supporting implementation of projects. Encourages all team
members to look for improvement opportunities.
• Manages inventory to provide the best availability in the industry.
• Implements proper staffing strategies to ensure flexibility with the proper mix of FT and PT team members.
• Dedicates self and team to Operational Excellence by complying with all BBX standards.
• Leads a branch that proudly represents Grainger’s service and commitment to the customers and team members.
• Maintains safety and security for all team members and customers.
• Ensures the branch, surrounding landscape, and parking areas are properly maintained.
• Follows and enforces all local/state/federal laws and company policies.
•5-7 years of experience in related field preferred.
•BA/BS or equivalent preferred.
• Has experience building complete marketing plans leveraging internal and external resources.
• Has demonstrated program management success.
• Possesses effective project management, planning and facilitation skills.
• Possesses effective time-management skills.
• Has a demonstrated ability to influence and persuade varying levels of internal and external decision-makers.
• Ability to assist in aligning effective cross-functional work groups to develop integrated plans.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Experience with channel marketing or business development.
Grainger is an Equal Opportunity Workplace and an Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.