Job Title: Integration Engineer
Interoperability is quickly becoming one of the most critical areas in Healthcare IT. The importance of having continuous data flow in supporting the delivery of high quality patient care cannot be understated. A well-established foundation in Enterprise Integration is generally built around HL7, but nowadays this is only part of the story:
- A successful ACO looks to its integration team to deliver relevant information to key stakeholders to drive improvements in care quality, operational effectiveness, and risk management.
- Meaningful Use requirements are helping to drive forward the sharing of longitudinal patient records amongst providers in any setting.
- More and more healthcare professionals are looking to technology to provide true semantic interoperability of disparate healthcare systems.
All of these positive and challenging trends in healthcare require the Integration Engineer to have mastery over development with a diverse toolset including: HL7 v2 & v3, clinical documents (CCD, CCR, C-CDA), IHE profiles, EMPI/MDM, and Web Services. In addition, Integration Engineers here are valued for their wide-ranging knowledge of the numerous applications used, the accompanying workflows, and a detailed understanding of how it all “fits together”. Along with interface development, architectural design, and general project guidance, the Integration Engineer should be an expert at analysis and have the communication skills to deliver the highest quality support to our partners and customers.
- Systems integration lead on projects of varying sizes:
o Confers with hospital administration, project team members and stakeholders to determine communication requirements, integration feasibility, development/enhancement effort, and potential complications
o Understands and assists with workflow modeling with respect to system integration
o Analyzes technical specifications provided by software vendors
o Designs, builds, and fine tunes data selection, translation processes and data exchange of low to high complexity interfaces using Integration Engine and EMPI
o Works closely with fellow Integration Engineers and/or application analysts on more complex development efforts
o Assists with the development and delivery of necessary data sets and data mapping tables
o Ensures effective communication amongst involved parties during development, implementation and post-production to guarantee continual progress
o Provides accurate documentation for integration solutions and project tracking as well as training, deployment and support materials
- Actively monitors support ticketing system and consistently contributes time to resolving issues, whether minor or critical, in a timely manner:
o Participates in support triage rotation and adheres to response and resolution guidelines as outlined in the service level agreement (SLA)
o Takes the appropriate course of action in order to remedy issues identified
o Establishes and maintains constant communication with customers during troubleshooting and resolution of reported issues
o Explains in clear, understandable language problems that are due to complex coding issues
o Provides detailed and accurate descriptions of troubleshooting steps taken, client concerns, impacts of problems, possible solutions and associated risks, accepted solutions, and implementation of accepted solutions for all issues
- Participates in 24X7 on-call support monthly rotation
- Complies with HIPAA with regard to handling medical and financial confidential information
- Exceptional knowledge of HL7 standards (2.x, 3.x, CCD, C-CDA, etc.)
- Demonstrated experience with several application modules and associated HL7 message sets: Admissions (ADT), Laboratory (including Microbiology, Blood Bank, Pathology) orders/results (ORM, ORU), Radiology orders/results, Billing and Receiving (DFT), Pharmacy (RDE, ZFM), Medical Records, etc.
- Working knowledge of one or more integration engines or ESBs. Experience with Orion Rhapsody preferred.
- Experience with various communication technologies and interface protocols: TCP/IP, FTP, SFTP, P-to-P VPN, SOAP, etc.
- Familiarity with integration engine alerting and monitoring tools or enterprise monitoring solutions.
- Proven experience with an industry standard EMPI such as IBM InfoSphere (formerly Initiate) or NextGate MatchMetrix.
- Experience with Meditech 6.0 interfacing preferred. This includes familiarity with the MT Integration Manager, unique formatting of specific message types, NMI standard practices and processes.
- Strong analytical and decision-making skills with the ability to make recommendations which reflect the appropriate level of analysis and evaluation of options.
- Must have excellent oral and written communication skills including analysis, preparation, and presentation of information.
- Must possess the ability and willingness to adapt and learn quickly.
- Must work well under stress and easily handle conflicting priority requests.
- Education: BA/BS/MS in Computer Science, Health Mgmt Information Systems, or other 4-year technical degree
- Experience (Type & Length): 3+ years of experience in integration design, development, and analysis in healthcare setting utilizing HL7 standards and master data management tools.
- Software/Hardware: Experience with an industry standard integration engine or ESB and related monitoring tools with a strong preference for Orion Rhapsody. Experience with EMPI such as IBM InfoSphere preferred. Experience with Meditech C/S a plus; experience with Meditech 5.6 or 6.0 preferred.
Java (Programming Language)
C (Programming Language)