TITLE: Mechanical Design Discipline Manager
LOCATION: Bellevue, WA, USA
TerraPower is a nuclear energy technology company based in Bellevue, Washington. At our core, we are working to raise living standards globally. The essential factor? Energy. In 2006, the company originated with Bill Gates and a group of like-minded visionaries who evaluated the fundamental challenges to raising living standards around the world. They recognized energy access was crucial to the health and economic well-being of communities, and decided that the private sector needed to take action and create energy sources that would advance global energy deployment. TerraPower’s mission is to be a world leader in new nuclear technologies, while developing innovators and future leaders in the nuclear field. TerraPower is committed to bringing sustainable, affordable and safe energy to address global issues. As a result, the company’s activities in the fields of nuclear energy and related sciences are yielding significant innovations in the safety and economics of nuclear power, hybrid energy and medical applications.
TerraPower is seeking to hire highly motivated and forward thinking professionals who are interested in focusing on advanced nuclear reactor research and development, and influencing change within the nuclear power landscape. TerraPower is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate in hiring on the basis of sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religious creed, national origin, physical or mental disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. In addition, as a federal contractor, TerraPower has instituted an Affirmative Action Plan (AAP) in an effort to proactively recruit, hire, and promote women, minorities, disabled persons and veterans.
Mechanical Design Discipline Manager
TerraPower is seeking a highly motivated Mechanical Design Discipline Manager to manage engineering efforts of the Mechanical Design team, reporting directly to the Vice President, Engineering. This role will manage discipline work process execution to assure technical adequacy in accordance with company, contract, and industry standards. The Mechanical Design Discipline Manager will support projects in functional-related matters, including technical support, training, staffing requirements and personnel performance. This people manager role is expected to allot ongoing and on-demand technical contribution that ensures appropriate performance of project(s) technical scope.
- Keep engineering management informed of major emerging technical issues
- Interface with regulators, stakeholders, and customers on discipline design issues
- Support any complex analytical work to be performed and provide project support for the work
- Maintain current the maintenance requirements or continued development recommendations of automation tools for the discipline
- Recognize the need and support obtaining external subject matter experts
- Ensure periodic meetings with discipline engineers to ensure appropriate communication of discipline and project information including process improvements and lessons learned
- Develop the engineering staffing plan for the discipline using input from the project, including development and maintenance of load boards for discipline personnel
- Recommend staff changes (replacements due to attrition, new requirements, de-staffing)
- Resolve priority conflicts in conjunction with the projects when issues arise that compete for resources. Elevate those that cannot be resolved at the discipline manager level
- Support employee development through mentoring, training, and challenging assignments
- Develop, maintain, use, and incorporate discipline guidelines (e.g., design criteria, design guides, desktop instructions, design notes)
- Perform self-assessments of work processes and technical adequacy
- Ensure that work process execution and technical adequacy are in accordance with contract requirements, project standards and industry standards
- Demonstrate visible, continuous leadership in the areas of safety and quality
- Monitor and provide oversight of Design Verification activities
- Maintain unit rate spreadsheet.
- Review and concur with technical content of PRs and subcontract packages prior to bid
- Provide engineering review and concurrence for the procurement strategy for the discipline commodities
- Identify improvement opportunities and cause work process changes to be initiated and expedited
- Champion specific discipline related Process Improvement ideas.
- Perform personnel evaluations at mid-year and year-end including input from appropriate sources internal and external to Engineering, and providing useful performance and career development feedback
- Accountable to the Vice President, Engineering for functional direction and to ensure that projects are designed in a safe, reliable and efficient manner in accordance with policies and all applicable laws, regulations, codes, standards, and technical requirements
- Accountable to the PM and PE to implement the project design requirements and for having project design performed with trained and qualified engineers
- Resolving interpretation issues for implementing design standards.
- Approve discipline specific primary drawings/documents, guides, design criteria, and instructions.
- Approve written responses/presentations to external organizations that are applicable to the discipline
- Assignment of staff to assist in completion of corporate and project scope, as coordinated with the projects.
Key Qualifications and Skills
- At least 10+ years of experience in the nuclear industry with a B.S. in Mechanical or Nuclear Engineering from an accredited university, or an M.S. or Ph.D. with commensurate experience. Experience in the power industry or other highly regulated industries may be applicable.
- At least 3 years in a combined technical / people manager role with ongoing requirement for performance of project technical scope, in addition to other manager responsibilities
- 10+ years’ experience in pressure vessel and or piping design.
- Experience with ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code Section 8 and or Section 3
- Experience with Piping Design and ASME Code B31.1 and or B31.3
- CAD proficiency - 5,000 hours minimum - (SoildWorks preferred).
- Experience in FEA analysis – ANSYS, SW Simulation or ABAQUS a plus.
- Experience with Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing per (ASME Y14.5M).
- Experience leading/supervising coordination of resources to support preparation of calculation documents, design reports and other related documents
- Ability to work on multiple tasks concurrently during a given work week.
- Experience with design integration activities such as mechanical design procedures/guides, requirements management, design bases, configuration management, and information management system
- Excellent writing, presentation and communication skills.
- Ability to work with minimum direction to solve challenging problems.
- The successful candidate will possess a high degree of trust and integrity, communicate openly and display respect and a desire to foster teamwork.
Job Functions are physical actions and/or working conditions associated with the position. These functions may also constitute essential functions for the job which the employee must be able to fulfill, with or without accommodation. Information provided below is to help describe the job so that the applicant has a reasonable understanding of the job duties/expectations. An applicant's ability to perform and/or tolerate these actions and conditions will be discussed and workplace accommodations may be made on a case-by-case basis following an individualized assessment of the applicant and other considerations, including but not limited to any governing safety standards.
- Motor Abilities: Sitting for extended periods, bending/stooping, grasping/gripping, fine motor control (hands)
- Physical exertion and/or requirements: Minimal, with ability to safely lift up to 25 pounds
- Repetitive work: Prolonged
- Special Senses: Visual and audio focused work
- Work Conditions: Stairs, typing/keyboard, standing and/or sitting working environment of >8 hrs./day
- Travel required 0-10%
TerraPower’s technology is controlled for export by various agencies of the U.S. Government. TerraPower must evaluate applicants who are foreign nationals (other than asylees, refugees, or lawful permanent residents) in accordance with U.S. Government export control requirements. To facilitate TerraPower’s export control reviews, you will be asked as part of the application process to identify whether you are a U.S. Citizen or national, asylee, refugee, or lawful permanent resident of the United States. Government export authorization approval times vary. Based on the business needs for a particular position, TerraPower may not consider a foreign national from a country if it is impracticable to obtain timely Government export approval.
Please visit [ Link removed ] to apply
Process Improvements (Business)
Coaching And Mentoring