Do you want to change the world? We do, too.
Solar penetration is less than 1%, but just one hour of sunlight, if harnessed, could power the entire world for a year. We have the opportunity to change the way energy is produced, distributed and consumed, and we’re looking for talented, committed people to help us drive our growth and achieve our goals.
SunPower is a solar energy solutions company with a rich heritage of pioneering the best solar technologies in the world. Our solutions are unrivaled in terms of long-term reliability, efficiency, and performance. SunPower offers the only solar + storage solution designed and warranted by one company that gives customers control over electricity consumption. Through design, installation, maintenance, and monitoring, SunPower provides its world-class solar solutions to residential and commercial customers across the U.S.
SunPower is changing the way our world is powered every day with a brilliant, passionate, and driven team of more than 2,500 in North America and the Philippines. In an industry that is reshaping the world’s energy future, there’s no better place to be than SunPower.
We believe that our employees create our brand – with each project, each communication, each task completed and each interaction. SunPower welcomes the forward thinkers, the future savers of the world, the freedom chasers and all those demanding better, cleaner energy.
Summary of Role:
We are looking for someone to help develop data systems and machine learning applications to improve performance in our installed fleet. The Data Scientist will work directly with the monitoring platform development team, fleet operations center analysts, and firmware engineering team – the goal is to improve efficiency and customer experience by getting the right information to the right teams.
We are looking for candidates with experience developing data models, ETL data flows, and AWS applications to enhance broad-scale telemetry monitoring. A successful candidate will help the organization capture the right data, transform & process this data, and develop a data model that is useful for engineers and analysts. A key focus will be on enhancing the reach and power of our team of analytics systems engineers. For this reason, some level of power electronics experience is preferred but not required.
Excellent candidates will be capable of designing an analytical framework, system, or product. Additionally, the person filling this role will interact directly with our development team to design data systems and applications that quantify performance losses and diagnose the underlying causes.
A strong technical analytics background is expected, and an understanding of data systems (SQL & NoSQL), database structure, python, and business processes will be important.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Utilizes a firm understanding of business processes to drive closed-loop learning
- Writes procedures and technical training notes for users of the monitoring platform
- Develops toolset for internal users – primarily engineering & quality
- Develops with BI tools & data systems (Tableau, Power BI, R, Pandas, etc.)
- Gathers user feedback, translates requirements into a product, and trains end-users on application operation
- Drives closed-loop learning with users and technical staff
- B.S. degree in a STEM field and 4+ years of related experience or M.S. Degree and 2+ years or Ph.D. and 0+ years
- OR an equivalent combination of education and years of related experience
- Experience developing applications or data flows in an AWS environment
- Experience with either BI toolset or Python analytics environment
- General understanding of lean development and/or six sigma concepts
- Significant experience developing automated data flows
- Experience with statistical analysis in a business context
- Knowledge of machine learning concepts and examples of practical application
- Experience writing technical documentation
- Experience with BI toolsets such as Tableau, PowerBI, JMP, etc.
- General understanding of electrical engineering concepts
- Power electronics and/or control system experience
- Experience designing data models for electrical engineering concepts
- Experience monitoring fleet of hardware devices
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
- Primarily office work
- Fieldwork at installation sites may be required
- Light lifting may be required
- Some travel may be required
Equal Employment Opportunity
The Company is an equal employment opportunity employer and makes employment decisions, including but not limited to, hiring, firing, promotion, demotion, training, and/or compensation, on the basis of merit. Employment decisions are based on an individual’s qualifications as they relate to the job under consideration. The Company’s policy prohibits unlawful discrimination based on sex (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions, the actual sex of the individual, or the gender identity or gender expression), race, color, religion, including religious dress practices and religious grooming practices, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, marital status, familial status, age, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, protected veteran or military status, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state or local laws, ordinances, or regulations. The Company is committed to complying with all applicable laws providing equal employment opportunities. This commitment applies to all persons involved in the operations of the Company and prohibits unlawful discrimination by any employee of the Company, including supervisors and co-workers.
[ Link removed ]
[ Link removed ]
Accommodation for Applicants to SunPower Corporation
SunPower Corporation is an Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer and provides reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in job application procedures. If you have any difficulty using our online system and you need a reasonable accommodation due to a disability, you may use the following alternative email address to contact us about your interest in employment at SunPower Corporation: [ Email address blocked ] . Please indicate in the subject that line of your email that you are requesting accommodation. Only candidates being considered for a position who require an accommodation will receive a follow-up response.
NOTICE TO ALL APPLICANTS AND EMPLOYEES
Availability of Affirmative Action Plan for Review
SunPower is a federal government contractor. As a part of the Company’s obligations under law, it must develop a written Affirmative Action Program (AAP) for the Disabled, Recently Separated Veterans, Armed Forces Service Medal Veterans, Disabled Veterans and Active Duty Wartime Or Campaign Badge Veterans and for Women and Minorities as specified by law. Non-confidential and non-proprietary aspects of the AAP are available for inspection by applicants and employees, consistent with applicable law, which will be made available during office hours by contacting the EEO Officer.
- Business Processes
- Control Systems
- Data Analysis
- Data Modeling
- Data System