Are you excited to lead a team of electrical engineers in technical review of renewable energy projects and solar design? Are you passionate about growing a business? Are you an electrical engineer with significant experience in solar design or development of renewable energy projects?
DNV GL – Energy Renewable Advisory group is seeking an Electrical Engineering Team lead. The Team Lead for the Electrical Engineering team is a Customer-facing engineer responsible for leading and growing DNV GL’s Electrical Engineering (EE) practice serving the renewables industry. DNV GL is seeking an enthusiastic, nimble, and entrepreneurial engineer interested in leading and rapidly growing a team of world-class electrical engineers.
DNV GL EE team provides the following services in all renewables including onshore and offshore wind, solar PV, energy storage and microgrid:
- Owner’s engineering, including preliminary design, and third-party design review of electrical plans, specifications, calculations, and studies;
- interconnection services including grid interconnection studies and applications,
- design studies,
- technical due diligence of new construction and repowering, including construction monitoring, in support of project financing, for developers, lenders and investors.
- Complete utility-scale solar PV detailed design services, including plans, specifications, and design studies
Our teams apply significant experience in regulatory issues as applied in interconnection, grid operations, and transmission planning. Specifically, this team is increasing both competence and revenue in detailed solar design and offshore wind project support.
DNV GL is looking for a dynamic individual with great communication skills, ability to develop strong relationships with internal Project Managers as well as with Customers to solve their technoeconomic challenges when designing and constructing a project. The ideal candidate will have diverse experience in design, construction, interconnection, and repowering of utility-scale renewable energy projects, and will be eager to support growing a business with an entrepreneurial spirit and day to day team lead responsibilities (operations support/management) of a high-energy and nimble team.
DNV GL’s electrical engineering practice areas are split approximately 70% third party review/technical due diligence, and the remaining 30% on solar design, electrical studies, interconnection application and other development support activities, with plans to grow to approximately 50% support of technical due diligence and 50% on detailed design and offshore wind electrical engineering design and owner’s engineering.
Why you should work for us?Because within the DNV GL Energy, Renewables Advisory group, organizational culture and more specifically how we collectively influence the world for future generations, matters deeply to us. Our team works every day to increase the widespread deployment and operation of renewables to address climate change and positively impact society; endeavors to achieve our purpose through the success of our customers; and strives to be high-performing and innovative. Our approach reflects the equity, respect, and diversity we wish to see in the world.
Tasks May Include
- Identify new services, grow, maintain and enhance company expertise in onshore and offshore wind power and solar electrical engineering and power systems analysis;
- Act as advisor and first escalation path on the electrical’s team’s projects, coordinating and supervising work by junior personnel, other company divisions, and subcontractors;
- Anticipating project issues and leading customers and a team in developing appropriate resolutions;
- Occasionally conducting the team’s more complex site visits, inspections and construction monitoring;
- Process, procedure, and job aid development relating to electrical review of wind and solar project documentation;
- Interfacing with clients, their counterparties and legal counsel to discuss project/product risk and mitigation;
- Responsible for business development activities, identifying opportunities in the local market maintaining the required network of contacts (specifically including detailed solar design), and providing key market intelligence to help develop services according to the local industry needs
- Self-starter, able to generate and contract new business, manage projects entirely independently, train and develop junior staff, manage sensitive and confidential customer information, and ability to understand when to delegate and escalate tasks and issues as they arise;
- Solid knowledge of solar development; onshore wind; energy storage procurement processes, and overall development life cycles (including interrelationships between various development activities); and
- Willing to travel 15-30% of the time, domestic and international
- Bachelor's degree in electrical engineering with an emphasis on power systems
- Master’s degree is preferred
- Business degree or entrepreneurial experience related to power generation may be considered in lieu of an electrical engineering degree, and would be considered a plus if in addition to an electrical engineering degree
- Minimum 4 years of experience in renewables development, power generation, power system design, or related field.
- Candidates must have some working experience with wind and/or solar power generation systems. Key experience may include but is not limited to:
- Generation, transmission, substation, and distribution system engineering, construction and operations;
- Power system simulation and analysis;
- Electrical construction contracts, and project finance;
- Management of projects and staff in a technical consultancy or similar environment;
- Utility-scale generation and interconnection; including process, requirements and implementation;
- Regulatory and reliability framework applicable to renewable energy development, interconnection and operations (FERC, NERC, other);
- Power purchase contracts, electric power system regulatory compliance, and market structuresTesting practices for electrical power equipment;
- Electrical and construction safety including training and requirements; and
- Working knowledge of related regulations, codes and standards
- Experience writing reports in English, with excellent ability to communicate complex technical topics to non-engineering technical staff as well as laypersons (financing, legal, marketing)
- Professional Engineering (PE or P.Eng.) licensure in at least one US state or Canadian province, current and in good standing is desired but not required
- Experience with energy storage systems design, development, and engineering is preferred but not required
- Strong written and verbal English communication skills
- We conduct pre-employment drug and background screening
Opportunities Beyond Business
Our mission is to safeguard life, property and the environment. By joining us, you will work toward our meaningful vision: to make a global impact for a safe and sustainable future. DNV GL offers a congenial working environment, competitive salaries, and an exceptional benefits package.
DNV GL is an Equal Opportunity Employer and gives consideration for employment to qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Please visit our website at www.dnvgl.comCompany & Business Area Description
DNV GL is a global quality assurance and risk management company. Driven by our purpose of safeguarding life, property and the environment, we enable our customers to advance the safety and sustainability of their business. We provide classification, technical assurance, software and independent expert advisory services to the maritime, oil & gas, power and renewables industries. We also provide certification, supply chain and data management services to customers across a wide range of industries.
Combining technical, digital and operational expertise, risk methodology and in-depth industry knowledge, we empower our customers’ decisions and actions with trust and confidence. We continuously invest in research and collaborative innovation to provide customers and society with operational and technological foresight. With origins stretching back to 1864 and operations in more than 100 countries, our experts are dedicated to helping customers make the world safer, smarter and greener.
DNV GL delivers world-renowned testing and advisory services to the energy value chain including renewables and energy efficiency. Our expertise spans onshore and offshore wind power, solar, conventional generation, transmission and distribution, smart grids, and sustainable energy use, as well as energy markets and regulations. Our experts support customers around the globe in delivering a safe, reliable, efficient, and sustainable energy supply.Equal Opportunity Statement
DNV GL is an Equal Opportunity Employer and gives consideration for employment to qualified applicants without regard to gender, religion, race, national or ethnic origin, cultural background, social group, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age or political opinion. Diversity is fundamental to our culture and we invite you to be part of this diversity!