FirstEnergy at a Glance
We are a forward-thinking electric utility powered by a diverse team of employees committed to making customers’ lives brighter, the environment better and our communities stronger.
FirstEnergy (NYSE: FE) is dedicated to integrity, safety, reliability and operational excellence. Headquartered in Akron, Ohio, FirstEnergy includes one of the nation's largest investor-owned electric systems, more than 24,000 miles of transmission lines that connect the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic regions, and a regulated generating fleet with a total capacity of more than 3,500 megawatts.
About the Opportunity
This is an open position with FirstEnergy Service Co., a subsidiary of FirstEnergy Corp.
Location: Akron, OH preferred or within FirstEnergy service territory (OH, PA, NJ, WV, MD). Role is currently remote but required to be located within FE service territory.
IT Networks General Department Duties:
The FirstEnergy IT Transport-WAN Team is a 24x7 engineering and operations group responsible for the private wide area network consisting of Microwave, DWDM, and MPLS transport networks. The Team is responsible for the architecture, engineering, implementation, operation, maintenance, reliability, and licensing/regulatory compliance of the WAN with all associated elements that comprise it.
High-Level Position Responsibilities:
As part of the Transport-WAN Team, this position has a principal focus on Microwave backhaul and RF technologies while also requiring support of DWDM and MPLS networks as part of an on-call rotation or specific support needs.
- Engineering, implementation, and continued support of new RF systems and services
- Provide recommendations for improvements to Microwave and RF networks, lead changes to implement recommendations, and troubleshoot break-fix situations
- On-going 24x7 support of the optical DWDM, MPLS, and Microwave transport networks (team members participate in a weekly on-call rotation and are expected to respond to pages when it is their week to be on-call)
- Deliver successful project execution including schedule and budget for assigned initiatives
- Effective collaboration with FirstEnergy’s Field Area Network Team, field technicians, vendors, and support contractors
- Delivery of high-performance and high-availability communications in a 24x7 enterprise to achieve service performance expectations with appropriate redundancies for diverse communications
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Computer Science, Telecommunications or a related field or equivalent work experience in a network engineering or operations environment
- 5+ years of experience supporting or deploying RF networks
- Provides support for the engineering, installation, operation, and maintenance of microwave point-to-point systems
- Proven experience with radio propagation software to design new and maintain existing RF systems
- Prepare and certify applications for new, renewal, modifications and amendments to federal agency and commission licenses (FAA / FCC)
- Provide operational support for all RF networks within the various Network Engineering and Operations teams
- Strong project management skills and experience in the coordination of multi-task projects
- Prepare and maintain RF equipment specifications.
- Ability to work and move throughout the FirstEnergy service territory as needed for ongoing projects
- Available during non-standard hours when project schedules and maintenance issues dictate.
- Excellent written and verbal communication & presentation skills
- Maintains strict adherence to FE safety programs and guidelines
Preferred candidates may also possess one or more of the following:
- Experience with P25 PLMR, MAS, and/or 700/900 MHz radio networks
- Experience working with certified frequency coordination entities for microwave and PLMR systems.
- Demonstrable knowledge of TCP/IP L3 routing & L2 switching fundamentals
- Understanding of NERC CIP regulations
- Experience with RF interference investigations
- Familiarity of electric utility infrastructure within substations and distribution networks
- Knowledge of Optical Transmission Principles, including standard wavelengths, typical attenuation, optical power factors, anomalies, etc.
- Experience with Dense Wavelength Division Multiplexing (DWDM), Optical Transport Network (OTN) mesh, and Synchronous Optical Network (SONET)
- Ability to identify issues and troubleshoot optical networks
- Experience with network management applications (e.g. Nokia NSP, Cisco Prime and Cisco Transport Controller)
Benefits, Compensation & Workforce Diversity
At FirstEnergy, employees are key to our success. We depend on their talents to meet the challenges of our changing business environment. We are committed to rewarding individual and team efforts through our total rewards philosophy which includes competitive pay plus incentive compensation, a company-sponsored pension plan, 401(k) savings plan with matching employer contribution, a choice of medical, prescription drug, dental, vision, and life insurance programs, as well as skills development training with tuition reimbursement. Please visit our website at www.firstenergycorp.com to learn more about all of our employee rewards programs. FirstEnergy proudly supports workforce diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with a disability. No recruiters or agencies without a previously signed contract. Unable to sponsor or transfer H-1B visas at this time.
Safety is a core value for FirstEnergy and is essential to all of our business activities. We ensure employees have the tools, information, and processes to perform their duties in a manner that assures safety for themselves, their co-workers, our customers and the public. Our goals are to provide a safe work environment, to maintain an accident-free, injury-free workplace, and to promote and maintain public safety. To meet these goals, we dedicate ourselves to achieving world-class safety standards.
FirstEnergy Human Resources Team
Nearest Major Market: Akron
Nearest Secondary Market: Cleveland
Network, Network Engineer, RF, Computer Science, Compliance, Technology, Engineering, Science, Legal
- Electric Utility
- Fiber Optic Communications
- Information Technology