The Ameriprise Financial General Counsel's Organization is hiring an attorney to be part of the Global Alternatives legal team supporting Columbia Threadneedle's Global Asset Management business. The attorney will lead the team supporting Lionstone Investments (Lionstone), Columbia Threadneedle's US-based real estate business. The successful candidate will (preferably) be located in Houston, Boston, or Minneapolis. Responsibilities
The primary responsibilities of the position include supporting Lionstone's legal matters and regulatory compliance. The ideal candidate will be expected to:
- Provide strategic advice to Lionstone senior management on a range of issues impacting the operation and growth of the business.
- Provide legal support (including development, structuring and maintenance) on a variety of asset management products, including private investment funds, REITs, and separately managed accounts working effectively with internal tax and external counsel to ensure structural efficiency.
- Advise/draft with varying support from external counsel on all fund documents, including any fund service provider agreements, joint ventures and investment management agreements.
- Negotiate investment management agreements, side letters or other individually negotiated client agreements with institutional investors, including those subjects to ERISA or other fiduciary obligations.
- Review/approve of marketing materials, investor communications and other communications under the new SEC Marketing Rule, GIPS compliance and internal policies.
- Collaborate with Legal and Compliance colleagues in other jurisdictions on the application of marketing and private placement regulations of products offered in foreign jurisdictions and development of product structures to comply with these regulations.
- Collaborate with colleagues in Legal and Compliance, maintaining a general understanding of the ESG environment as it applies to real estate in the US and associated applicable regulation and industry standards and provision of advice on how to achieve necessary compliance.
Have knowledge or a general understanding of:
- The services agreements and arrangements pursuant to which private investment funds may be offered via retail wealth distribution platforms and ability to negotiate the same working with other colleagues in the legal group.
- Securities laws and implications to fund formation and other aspects of business; support and advice for maintenance of appropriate compliance programs working with Lionstone Compliance Officer(s).
- Fund and property-level financing structures, terms and constraints.
- Partnership tax issues (U.S. and international) as it applies to fund formation and operation documents, investment structuring, carried interest, operating partners, and tax-exempt investors (UBTI), etc.
- Market terms for third party service providers such as property managers and developers and preparation of related agreements.
- Matters typical to the real estate business, including purchase and sale agreements, title, easements, zoning, development, constructions, HOAs and CCRs, entitlements, leasing, property management, slip and falls, tenant rent collection matters, tenant claims against landlord, etc.
- Litigation and coordination with outside/internal litigation counsel.
- Private equity upper tier structuring as it relates to employee and parent capital commitments and carried interests.
- Bankruptcy as it applies to leases, real estate and other counterparties within the real estate business.
- Corporate governance matters.
- The applicability of the Home Owner's Loan Act and the Bank Holding Company Act (including the Volcker Rule) to real estate investment products is a plus.
About Our Company
- 10 - 20 years relevant experience providing legal support to an asset management real estate business, or working at a law firm within its asset management-real estate or securities law practice group
- Experience managing outside counsel effectively
- JD or equivalent
- Extensive knowledge of federal securities laws, including the Securities Act of 1933, Securities Exchange Act of 1934, Investment Advisers Act of 1940, and the Investment Company Act of 1940 and the rules thereunder
- Strong attention to detail, organization and ability to successfully manage several ongoing assignments
- Ability to work independently, collaboratively and proactively, to multi-task and demonstrate a strong sense of urgency
- Exceptional communication, interpersonal, writing and problem-solving skills
- Strong collaboration skills and dedicated team player are essential
Lionstone Investments, a subsidiary of Ameriprise Financial, is a pioneering real estate investment firm that conceptualizes, analyzes, and executes national real estate investment strategies. By using proprietary algorithms and advanced data-analytics, Lionstone Investments can understand the changing ways people in America want to live and work. In addition to our competitive compensation package, we embrace an inclusive and collaborative culture that celebrates the unique qualities and rewards the contributions of our talented, passionate employees.
Ameriprise Financial is an equal opportunity employer. We consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, genetic information, age, sexual orientation, citizenship, gender identity, disability, veteran status, marital status, family status or any other basis prohibited by law.
- Asset Management
- Attention To Detail
- Claim Processing