Oak Plains Academy is seeking Mental Health Technicians (MHA) for 3rd shift (Overnight). We are offering a Sign-On Bonus! We are seeking people who want to make a difference in the lives of our children by assuring their safety and security during the overnight hours and who takes seriously the responsibilities we accept for the youth in our care.
The ideal candidate is someone who can adhere to strict guidelines for our policies regarding supervision of the youth in our care. There will be times when overtime is required and we are seeking someone who can adapt to flexible schedules and is passionate about helping troubled youth.
Oak Plains is a member of the UHS family. One of the nation’s largest and most respected hospital companies, Universal Health Services, Inc. (UHS) has built an impressive record of achievement and performance. Steadily growing from a startup to an esteemed Fortune 500 corporation, UHS today has annual revenue nearing $10 billion. In 2017, UHS was recognized as one of the World’s Most Admired Companies by Fortune; ranked #276 on the Fortune 500, and listed #275 in Forbes inaugural ranking of America’s Top 500 Public Companies.
Our operating philosophy is as effective today as it was 40 years ago: Build or acquire high quality hospitals in rapidly growing markets, invest in the people and equipment needed to allow each facility to thrive, and become the leading healthcare provider in each community we serve.
Headquartered in King of Prussia, PA, UHS has more than 81,000 employees and through its subsidiaries operates more than 320 acute care hospitals, behavioral health facilities and ambulatory centers in the United States, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands and the United Kingdom.
Oak Plains Academy is a comprehensive and highly structured 90-bed residential treatment center located on 25 acres of rolling hills in Ashland City, Tennessee. Oak Plains provides psychiatric and neurological treatment services for males and females, ages 5-17, who have significant history of emotional or behavioral issues. The clinical programs at Oak Plains Academy have been designed to address the needs of children and adolescents with a primary psychiatric/ neurological diagnosis. Residents receive an individualized treatment plan, geared to meet their personal needs. A professional team of psychiatrists, psychologists, social workers, therapists, nurses, and teachers work closely with each resident to assist them to achieve there therapeutic and education goals.
This opportunity provides the following:
- UHS is a challenging and rewarding work environment
- Growth and development opportunities within UHS and its subsidiaries
- Competitive compensation
- Excellent Medical, Dental, Vision, & Prescription Drug Plans
- 401K Plan with company match
- Generous paid time off
UHS is a registered trademark of UHS of Delaware, Inc., the management company for Universal Health Services, Inc. and a wholly-owned subsidiary of Universal Health Services, Inc. Universal Health Services, Inc. is a holding company and operates through its subsidiaries including its management company, UHS of Delaware, Inc. All healthcare and management operations are conducted by subsidiaries of Universal Health Services, Inc. To the extent any reference to "UHS or UHS facilities" on this website including any statements, articles or other publications contained herein relates to our healthcare or management operations it is referring to Universal Health Services' subsidiaries including UHS of Delaware. Further, the terms "we," "us," "our" or "the company" in such context similarly refer to the operations of Universal Health Services' subsidiaries including UHS of Delaware. Any employment referenced in this website is not with Universal Health Services, Inc. but solely with one of its subsidiaries including but not limited to UHS of Delaware, Inc.
UHS is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at UHS via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of UHS. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by UHS as a result of the referral or through other means.
This position is for 3rd shift. If you have a passion for working with youth and want to make a difference in the lives of the youth we serve, we invite you to apply. We are seeking dynamic, caring, and dedicated mental health professionals to join our team. If you have the desire to work with troubled youth, we are willing to train the right people. Even if you have little or no experience in the mental health field, we offer training and career development.
The Mental Health Associate provides routine non-acute physical care, participatory supervision, education and evaluation of program services, patient and milieu under direction of licensed staff. Those working third shift are responsible for the security of the youth in our care by ensuring regular security checks and documentation are followed while children are sleeping as well as assisting as they prepare for breakfast and school each morning.
- Follows program schedule/milieu with minimal supervision. Follows program rules and guidelines and ensures residents compliance with same.
- Promotes the development and safety of the residents; through following the TF-CBT PRAC skills process by; 1. Safety First 2. Determine the trigger, and feeling 3. Identify coping skills. Remain alert at all times, by using forethought to anticipate potentially unsafe situations.
- Completes timely and accurate documentation of resident’s behavior.
- Attends and completes all scheduled in-services and trainings as required.
- Practices good handwriting techniques, follows Universal Precautions. Alerts supervisors to risk management and quality concerns.
- Assesses and ensures the needs of the residents are being met in relation to clothing, linens, and personal hygiene supplies. Supervises residents’ personal hygiene tasks.
- Escorts residents to mealtime, outdoor/indoor recreation, educational activities and participates in their supervision and instruction as needed. Transports residents to and from medical appointments or other off campus activities when needed.
- Displays consistency and is positive in interactions with others, to include exhibiting a positive role model for residents and fellow employees. Accepts constructive criticism and suggestions in a positive manner.Maintains safe boundaries with residents and co-workers, uses self-disclosure appropriately.
- Willingly accepts additional responsibilities outside routine job functions.
- Have necessary materials available to conduct psycho education groups. Begin and end all scheduled activities on time. Convey pertinent information timely and clearly to Unit Manager / Lead MHA.
- Provides appropriate crises intervention by anticipating and responding quickly to escalating behaviors. Utilize verbal de-escalation techniques to address disruptive and/or dangerous behaviors. When necessary as a last resort staff will utilize techniques taught in the Handle with Care training.
- Use active listening skills and appropriate tone and volume of voice, while offering a variety of positive coping skills. Always provide positive reinforcements, maintaining appropriate boundaries and promoting a positive peer culture among residents. Staff will utilize tools in the TF-CBT tool box to help the resident regain control of their behaviors.
- Assures cleanliness and orderliness of the assigned work area/unit and proactively assist in all security, maintenance, and safety functions as required for the overall facility.
- Supervises resident/student search(s) as required.
- Participates in the rotating call out schedule.
- Dresses appropriately according to the Personal Appearance Policy.
- Performs additional duties as assigned by the Unit Manager, Lead MHA, Director of Residential Services, or other administrative persons.
- Demonstrate all Service Excellence Standards and Principles.
- Bachelor's degree in Psychology, Sociology, Education or related field or a technical degree in areas of allied health.
- OR - Minimum of 45 credit hours (3 semesters) completed in continuing undergraduate study in Psychology, Sociology, Nursing, Counseling or related field or completion of a related vocational/technical degree program plus one year recent related experience.
- OR - High School Diploma plus two years’ experience in the area of mental health with demonstrable competence in required knowledge and responsibilities. Certain skills and experiences may serve as meeting position requirements with managerial approval.
- Must demonstrate competence in obtaining, and/or recording general body appearance and mental status, general admission information and explaining the Patient Rights and responsibilities to all new patients.
- Must maintain certifications in CPR/AED, First Aid and Handle with Care.
- Must demonstrate basic knowledge of emotional and mental health and disease concepts including the disease of addiction.Must have clear communication/interaction skills and demonstrate competency in facilitating therapeutic groups.
- Physical Demands: Moderate to heavy.Satisfactory health, strength and stamina to meet the physical, mental and emotional demands and stressors that position requires:walking, running, standing, lifting, irregular working hours, and assisting with the restraint
- This position requires use of "Handle with Care" protective hold procedures as a last resort for protection of residents and staff.
Automated External Defibrillator