IT@JH Technology Innovation Center is seeking a TIC Software Developer (Programmer Analyst) who functions as a member of the software application development team within the Johns Hopkins Technology Innovation Center (TIC), which is an organization uniquely positioned within Johns Hopkins to help design, build, and deploy novel enterprise, departmental, and clinical applications that strive to improve workflow, outcomes, and patient care.
The Programmer Analyst serves as a full-stack, Java developer and participates in the design, creation, implementation, testing, maintenance, performance, production support and documentation of various enterprise application systems. This includes, but is not limited to the: installation, modification, and testing of new and/or upgraded applications (packages or home grown), operating systems, file structures, hardware, communication devices, and productivity tools. Applies analysis techniques and procedures to gather and then translate business requirements into functional/technical specifications and designs. Using functional specifications and designs, produces all or part of the deliverables. Maintains databases and application system code.
- Under limited guidance, the Programmer Analyst is responsible for the full life-cycle of small- to medium-sized projects and/or parts of a large, moderately complex project.
- Once priorities are set, performs tasks independently with regular progress updates; possesses strong technical skills, demonstrates ability to understand complex business processes, and develops solutions based on technical knowledge.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
Analysis & Requirements Gathering
- Under guidance, define business/clinical/education problems by meeting with clients to observe and understand current processes and the issues related to those processes.
- Provide written documentation of findings to share with the client and other IT colleagues.
- Gather system requirements by meeting with clients and researching existing technology to understand the business requirements for new applications.
Design & Development
- Develop detailed tasks by analyzing project scope and milestones for projects in order to ensure product is delivered in a timely fashion according to software lifecycle standards.
- Write functional/technical specifications by taking the provided system requirements, putting them into functional and technical descriptions for use by programmers and business analysts to develop technical solutions.
- Develop/change data input, files/database structures, data transformation, algorithms, and data output by using appropriate computer language/tools to provide technical solution for application development tasks.
- Document code and associated processes by adhering to development methodologies, adding code comments and appropriate documentation to various knowledgebase system(s) to simplify code maintenance and to improve support.
Testing & Documentation
- Create and document test scenarios using the appropriate testing tools to validate and verify application functionality.
- Test all changes by using the appropriate test scenarios to ensure all delivered solutions work as expected and errors are handling in a meaningful way.
- Author and maintain documentation by writing audience-appropriate materials to serve as technical and/or end-user references.
Implementation & Maintenance
- Implement changes by adhering to the change management policies and procedures for any given project to communicate to all parties the nature, significance, and risk factors of the solution.
- Monitor changes and resolve problems by responding to problems as they occur, by reviewing all processing and output of the newly implemented solution, and by proactively ensuring the solution works successfully in order to satisfy the customer requirements and to provide a smooth transition to the new solution.
- Provide support by triaging and resolving issues to ensure prompt, effective service.
The responsibilities listed above are typical examples of the work performed by this position. Not all duties assigned to this position are included, nor is it expected that everyone in this position will be assigned every job responsibility.
Minimum Qualifications (Mandatory):
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- Additional experience may be substituted for education.
- One year of related work experience with computer systems and applications.
- Additional education may substitute for experience.*
* JHU Equivalency Formula: 30 undergraduate degree credits (semester hours) or 18 graduate degree credits may substitute for one year of experience. Additional related experience may substitute for the required education on the same basis. For jobs where equivalency is permitted, up to two years of non-related college course work may be applied towards the total minimum education/experience required for the respective job.
** Applicants who do not meet the posted requirements but are completing their final academic semester/quarter will be considered eligible for employment and may be asked to provide additional information confirming their academic completion date.
- Knowledge in the assigned application as well as the platform on which it runs.
Special Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Must possess all requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities as posted in the supplemental section.
- Must demonstrate critical thinking and analytical reasoning skills.
- Ability to work on multiple priorities effectively.
- Ability to prioritize conflicting demands.
- Ability to execute assigned project tasks within established schedule.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment.
- Ability to communicate effectively in the service of users and colleagues.
- Writes and speaks clearly and concisely.
- Possesses sound documentation skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Must demonstrate exemplary customer service skills.
Classified Title: Programmer Analyst
Working Title: TIC Software Developer
Starting Salary Range: Commensurate with experience
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: Mon-Fri, 8:30am-5pm
Exempt Status: Exempt
Location: Hybrid/School of Medicine Campus
Department name: IT@JH Technology Innovation Center
Personnel area: University Administration
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the Talent Acquisition Office at [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to TIC Software Developer. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
Johns Hopkins has mandated COVID-19 and influenza vaccines, as applicable. Exceptions to the COVID and flu vaccine requirements may be provided to individuals for religious beliefs or medical reasons. Requests for an exception must be submitted to the JHU vaccination registry. For additional information, applicants for SOM positions should visit [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to TIC Software Developer and all other JHU applicants should visit [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to TIC Software Developer.
The following additional provisions may apply, depending on campus. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
[ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to TIC Software Developer
- Business Processes
- Business Requirements
- Change Management
- Clinical Works