The successful candidate will have an interest in developing construction work packages for the electric distribution system using various software systems and construction standards. Distribution systems may be in an OH, UG, or URD environment. Work packages will be developed using Geographic Information Systems (GIS), Computer Aided Design (CAD) tools, Work Management Systems (WMS), and other client systems.
Project work will require performing engineering calculations that may include: structural analysis of poles, guying, cable pulling, electric demand, transformer sizing, voltage drop and flicker, and coordination of protective devices. Assignments may also include: preparing forestry trimming requests, facilitating permit and Right-of-Way acquisition, development of a BOM, estimating costs, and customer advocacy such as acquiring easements. Work assignments will include travelling by motor vehicle to various project locations located throughout the area to conduct field investigations.
• Bachelors of Science in Engineering degree (Electrical, Mechanical, Civil, or Industrial) is required and 4-8 years of prior relevant experience or Master’s degree with 2+ years: relevant experience is either working directly with an electric utility or an electric utility consulting company, performing design engineering
• Experience with the National Electric Safety Code (NESC) and client construction standards
• Experience with BOUD or GE Smallworld
• Experience using CAD tools
• Experience with software such as: PoleForeman, SAP, Microstation
• Must be comfortable in both a field and office setting
• Must be able to lift 20 pounds
• Must be able to walk up to 2 miles on unpaved surfaces
• Candidate must provide their own reliable transportation
o (Local customer/job related travel is anticipated and will be reimbursed at IRS approved rates)
Nice to haves
• Experience with distribution design: reconductoring projects, voltage conversion projects, distribution automation projects, new business projects
• Fundamentals of Engineer certification
• Strong communication skills, written and interpersonal communications skills
• Collaborative and inclusive of individuals of diverse backgrounds and geographic locations
• Positive attitude
• Ability to work with limited supervision
• Ability to work effectively in teams.
• Professional dress and demeanor
10%-30% Field Inspections
60%-80% Engineering and development of design packages for construction crews
10% Performing administrative tasks, planning, and/or customer follow-up