Date: November 2017
Job Title: Patient Collections Associate
Job Status: Non-exempt, full-time
Department: Patient Services
Immediate Supervisor Title: Collections Supervisor
Job Supervisory Responsibilities: None
General Summary: To review delinquent accounts, determine if insurance is exhausted, and work with patient to obtain payment.
1. Determine if insurance has been exhausted a. Rebill/bill insurance if not exhausted
2. Attempt to collect from patient
a. Collect payment in full
b. Set up acceptable payment arrangement
3. Transfer account to outside collection agency if appropriate
4. Maintains acceptable A/R
Education Requirement: High school diploma or equivalent
Experience Requirement: Minimum of one year experience in telephone collections, preferably in health care setting.
System Responsibilities: In order to perform required job functions, this role is responsible for maintaining advanced skill levels in the following systems:
4. Soarian Financials
Proficient skill levels must also be maintained in the following systems:
8. Document Imaging
Equipment Operated: Standard office equipment including computers, fax machines, copiers, printers, telephones, etc.
Work Environment: Position is in a well-lighted office environment. Evening and weekend work may be required.
Mental/Physical Requirements: Involves sitting approximately 90 percent of the day, walking or standing the remainder.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
1. Knowledge of insurance industry and billing procedures including patient responsibility guidelines
2. Knowledge of grammar, spelling, and punctuation for written and verbal correspondence
3. Skill in using computer programs and applications
4. Skill in using insurance websites and talking to insurance companies
5. Ability to communicate clearly and concisely
6. Ability to handle multiple priorities at the same time
7. Ability to read, understand, and follow oral and written instruction
Performance Requirements/Key Metrics:
1. Handle pre-determined amount of patients
2. Collect pre-determined amount of payments from patients 3. Bill/rebill pre-determined amount