At Houston Methodist, the Nuclear Medicine Technologist II position is responsible for completing a variety of routine to complex nuclear medicine procedures of high difficulty. This position is a member of the direct patient care team and is fully competent in all aspects of nuclear medicine. The Nuclear Medicine Technologist II position serves as a mentor to Nuclear Medicine Technologist I and students by utilizing skills and knowledge to help train and educate others. This position works independently by exercising sound judgment and executing above average clinical skills on challenging diagnostic procedures and patient care situations. The Nuclear Medicine Technologist II position provides direct assistance to physicians with all diagnostic and therapeutic procedures. This position delivers exceptional patient care and adheres to radiation standards and guidelines established by governing agencies to ensure optimal patient safety and customer service.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 20%
- Promotes a positive work environment and contributes to a dynamic, team focused work unit that actively helps one another to achieve optimal department results. Collaborates with all members of the patient care team by actively communicating and reporting pertinent patient care information and data in a comprehensive manner. (EF)
- Guides and mentors Nuclear Medicine Technologist I and students to help build confidence in skills, knowledge and abilities. Uses peer-to-peer accountability towards department goals for retention and employee engagement. (EF)
- Facilitates open, professional (verbal, nonverbal, written) communication to achieve mutual understanding, role modeling by example. Communication to promote both work efforts and problem resolution is clear and professional, providing the highest quality service during every customer and patient encounter. (EF)
SERVICE - 30%
- Performs nuclear medicine procedures. Nuclear medicine is a modality of radiology that uses radioactive substances. (EF)
- Proactively assesses, identifies and responds to the needs of the patient for adjustment or intervention to optimize patient care, image quality and patient experience. This includes: positioning, physiology, procedure preparation, and technical factors. Modifies technical factors to achieve desired imaging results and recognizes complications and limitations associated with certain procedures. (EF)
- Provides direct assistance to physicians during diagnostic or therapeutic interventions, including assisting with sterile technique. (EF)
- Provides accurate explanations and instructions to patients and family members at an appropriate level utilizing verbal and non-verbal skills, terminology and language. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 30%
- Follows safety standards and conducts all imaging procedures accordingly. Uses ALARA (as low as reasonably achievable) to protect patients, staff and general public, and follows radiation safety standards. Maintains proper sterile techniques for procedures, regularly practices aseptic techniques, and ensures compliance with radiation safety and infection control procedures. Complies with job role, department and hospital safety standards, practices and policies. (EF)
- Identifies opportunities for corrective action and process improvement providing recommendations, and contributes to meeting department and hospital targets for quality and safety. Reports 'near misses' and inputs errors promptly into appropriate hospital patient safety reporting system to improve processes and identify trends. Utilizes critical thinking skills to observe and proactively address patient reactions (i.e. contrast media and medications) or potential outcomes, as appropriate. (EF)
- Ensures all imaging equipment has had quality control (QC) performed as required and is in safe working order prior to use. Reports any malfunctions to management and regularly practices preventive maintenance procedures; calls for service if needed. (EF)
- Assists with implementation and education of department based safety initiatives and standards of practice. (EF)
FINANCE - 10%
- Provides accurate and complete documentation of patient procedures. Enters charges at the time service is delivered. (EF)
- Uses resources efficiently; does not waste supplies. Self-motivated to independently manage time effectively and prioritize daily tasks. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 10%
- Actively participates in special projects, department initiatives or shared governance activities and seeks opportunities to expand learning with a focus on continual development. Completes and updates the individual development plan (IDP) on an on-going basis.(EF)
- Fosters a positive and constructive teaching environment by engaging students and co-workers (Nuclear Medicine Technologist I) in learning opportunities that are valuable and in alignment with business objectives. (EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
- Graduate of education program approved by the credentialing body for the required credential(s) indicated below in the Certifications, Licenses and Registrations section.
- Three years' experience as a Nuclear Medicine Technologist
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
- American Registry of Radiologic Technologist in Nuclear Medicine (ARRT (N)) or Nuclear Medicine Technology Certification (CNMT)
- Registration as a Medical Radiologic Technologist (MRT-GC) thru the Texas Medical Board
- American Heart Association BLS
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations
- Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
- Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles
- Ability to work independently; capable of handling challenging / difficult diagnostic procedures and patient care situations. Demonstrates sound judgment and executes above average clinical skills.
- Possesses basic computer knowledge; operates multiple computer systems to include, Hospital / Radiology Information Systems and Office software to maintain patient and exam documents.
- Exhibits strong interpersonal and team player skills with all levels of the healthcare team and assures delivery of excellent customer service to all patients, visitors, physicians and co-workers.
- Adapts to multiple ongoing priorities with minimal supervision including, organizing work flow and actively participating in problem-solving.
Other (dept approved) Yes
On-Call* Yes, on a regular basis (for Non-Exempt or Exempt jobs)
*Note that employees may be required to be on-call during emergencies (ie. Disaster, Severe Weather Event, etc) regardless of selection above.
May require travel within Yes
Houston Metropolitan area
May require travel outside Yes
of Houston Metropolitan area
**Travel specifications may vary by department.
Please note any other special considerations to this job: __________________________
Houston Methodist The Woodlands opened in 2017 as the eighth hospital in the Houston Methodist system. This 187-bed, 470,000-square-foot, full-service, acute care hospital offers many of the same services as our flagship hospital in the Texas Medical Center. Also on the $380 million hospital campus, located at the intersection of I-45 and TX 242, is a medical office building, which opened in 2016. Medical Office Building 1 includes a breast care center, cancer center & infusion center, orthopedics & sports medicine, rehabilitation services, wellness services, and an outpatient laboratory in addition to multi-specialty physician practices. A second medical office building and 785-car parking garage opened in 2018.
- Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support (Acls)
- Basic Life Support
- Business Planning
- Business Process Improvement
- Clinical Works