The Patient Family Counselor is responsible for providing counseling and support for patients, families and caregivers. This includes the development of goals and objectives and the direct provision of care for patient, family, and caregiver.
The Patient Family Counselor will consistently demonstrate support of the Shirley Ryan AbilityLab statement of Vision, Mission and Core Values by striving for excellence, contributing to the team efforts and showing respect and compassion for patients and their families, fellow employees, and all others with whom there is contact at or in the interest of the institute.
The Patient Family Counselor will demonstrate Shirley Ryan AbilityLab Core Attributes: Communication, Accountability, Flexibility/Adaptability, Judgment/Problem Solving, Customer Service and Core Values (Hope, Compassion, Discovery, Collaboration, and Commitment to Excellence) while fulfilling job duties.
- Provide direct patient care as assigned.
- Communicate findings to physicians, nurses, allied health and extended interdisciplinary team.
- Perform social evaluations including, family dynamics, caregiving abilities, communication patterns, high risk for suicide, neglect or abuse, and plans based on evaluation findings.
- Provide crisis intervention when necessary.
- Educate interdisciplinary group on special needs related to the cultural differences, learning style, learning limitations, communication style, and roles within the family.
- Maintain clinical records on patient, family, and caregiver.
- Assist with advanced directives, and/or transitions to next level of care.
- Serves on various ad hoc and standing committees as requested.
- Perform all other duties that may be assigned in the best interest of the Shirley Ryan AbilityLab.
- Reports directly to the Manger, Psychology
- Normal office environment with little or no exposure to dust or extreme temperature.
About Shirley Ryan AbilityLab
- Knowledge of patient family care giver support, including the necessary knowledge, experience and clinical skills at a level acquired through completions of a Master’s degree.
- Licensed Social Worker, Licensed Clinical Social Worker or LicensedClinicalProfessional Counselor preferred.
- Minimum 1 of year experience in a hospital rehabilitation center managing a patient family caregiver support caseload.
- Analytical ability necessary to solve complex administrative and clinical problems. Ability to evaluate needs of patient populations and develop programs to meet those needs.
- Interpersonal skills necessary to motivate and provide direction as well as represent the SRAlab outside of the Institute to community groups and officials of health and welfare agencies. Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of management within the Institute.
Shirley Ryan AbilityLab is the global leader in physical medicine and rehabilitation for adults and children with the most severe, complex conditions. By joining our team, you will be part of our life-changing Mission and Vision. You’ll work in a truly inclusive environment where diversity and equity are championed through words and actions. You’ll contribute to an innovative culture that is second to none, one that embraces curiosity, discovery and compassion. You’ll play a role in something that’s never been done before as we integrate science and clinical care to help patients achieve better, faster outcomes — as we Advance Human Ability, together.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
Shirley Ryan AbilityLab is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
To apply for this position, please click "APPLY NOW"
and you will be sent to our online application.
We ask you to please take a few minutes to fill out the application.
We look forward to speaking with you soon.
- Clinical Works
- Crisis Intervention