To assist the provider with form completion, referral process, scheduling of procedures, registration of patients. To assist the patient and provide direction following the clinic appointment. Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other duties may be assigned.
- Prepares and review patient’s lab request forms, order forms and referrals for complete demographics, ICD-9 & CPT codes.
- Assist patients and providers with appointments in other departments or hospital by scheduling the appointment or by providing a telephone number for scheduling and directions to the facility.
- Schedule and post surgery cases & procedures on provider’s proxy calendar.
- Verifies patient’s insurance status by checking online system or calling insurance carrier. Document in electronic system active or termination status, deductibles & co-payments for future visit.
- Prepares appointment notices and provide instructions for patient’s surgery, procedures and testing as needed. Inform patient of required H&P for surgery and assist with appointment to see PCP if internal.
- Cancels and verifies appointments internal and external for testing and procedures.
- Maintains weekly procedure cancellation log by division.
- Obtains pre-authorization from insurance for procedures & testing ordered internally and externally.
- Direct patients for financial counseling and identifies appropriate person in the Business Office
- Acts as liaison between MFA and other ancillary and outside departments as it relates to patient referrals and scheduling of test and procedures.
- Comprehends clinical data with knowledge of procedure & diagnosis coding.
- TW scanning of documents on a daily basis.
- Tasking to assist with provider and patient administrative requests.
- Utilization of department pre-certification note for authorization of MRI, CT Scan and other testing & procedures.
- Assist patient with follow-up needs in a personal, systematic and organized manner.
- Maintains insurance matrix & procedure code matrix to assist with scheduling & referral responsibilities.
- Performs additional duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of ICD-9 and CPT codes.
- Assist with researching procedures with regard to proper CPT coding/correct ICD 9 codes
- Assists in answering inquires regarding departmental and Medical Center services and provides information regarding procedures, rules and regulations pertaining to assigned clinical areas.
- High school graduate or equivalent; knowledge of medical terminology.
- Two years of college is preferred.
- 1-2 years working experience in a medical environment, such as a hospital, doctor’s office, or ambulatory clinic.
- Must have knowledge of ICD-9 and CPT codes.
- Experience utilizing a web-based computerized system or experience with windows is necessary.
- Must have 2-3 years of experience with electronic scheduling systems and have surgical scheduling experience
- Must have some knowledge of insurance guidelines and third party payers.
Enter Patient Demographic
Verify Patient Information
Provide Directional Information
Process Patient Payment
Based on Job Title, Location and Skills
Apply to this job.
Think you're the perfect candidate?
Help us improve CareerBuilder by providing feedback about this job:
Report this job
Report this Job
Once a job has been reported, we will investigate it further. If you require a response, submit your question or concern to our
Trust and Site Security Team
Job ID: PATIE02316
privacy and protection,
when applying to a job online, never give your social security number to a prospective employer, provide credit card or bank account information, or perform any sort of monetary transaction.
By applying to a job using CareerBuilder you are agreeing to comply with and be subject to the CareerBuilder
Terms and Conditions
for use of our website. To use our website, you must agree with the
Terms and Conditions
and both meet and comply with their provisions.
The George Washington University Medical Faculty Associates (MFA) is the largest multi-specialty physician practice in Washington, DC, that is conveniently located in one building. We are committed to providing the best possible, most comprehensive, and most convenient care to our patients. Our investment in medical technology allows us to serve our neighbors, our country, and our international community.
View the full profile
The MFAs practice is built upon a long-standing tradition of care and community partnership. Our academic medical and surgical specialties and multidisciplinary approach to treating patients has far reaching roots in the local and international communities.
The MFA recently embarked on a new direction in defining its role in the healthcare communityto accelerate the addition of cutting edge medical technologies and unsurpassed patient service to its practice. MFA world-renowned physicians teach the most current medical knowledge to medical students, residents, and fellows. Additionally, our physicians keep learning through our Continuing Medical Education classes, advancing the theory and practice of disease detection, diagnosis, and treatment.
In July of 2000, the MFA became a non-profit, 501 (c)(3) organization, governed by a physician and executive board of directors. Currently, with more than 270 doctors and 41 medical specialties, the MFA is the largest and most comprehensive physician practice in the District that is conveniently housed in a 316,000 square-foot facility, treating an average of 1,500 patients a day.
In the future, MFA healthcare services will continue to meet the needs of the areas diverse populations with superior and effective patient care. Patients can look forward to receiving care from the best doctors using the most patient-friendly and efficient technology available. We are currently in the process of incorporating an electronic clinical records system, launching the MFA to the forefront of both medical and patient services technology.