Chubb is the world’s largest publicly traded property and casualty insurer. With operations in 54 countries, Chubb provides commercial and personal property and casualty insurance, personal accident and supplemental health insurance, reinsurance and life insurance to a diverse group of clients.
- Fundamentals of coverage, terms and conditions. Ability to offer coverage, terms and conditions which generate a profit for the Company while meeting the needs of the customer.
- Risk Assessment. Ability to identify risk exposures, special or common hazards, and appropriate controls. Ability to select risk based on exposure and risk analysis. Ability to analyze claims and quantify losses.
- Financial proficiency. Understanding of financial statements and ratios used in risk analysis. Understanding of insurance financial fundamentals; impact of underwriting decisions on company assets. Ability to understand credit risk. Actuarial fundamentals. Ability to understand loss trends, loss triangles, and ratemaking. Ability to quantify risk based on experience history and forecasting methods.
- Marketing and Communications. Ability to sell and negotiate to achieve bottom line profitability for the Company. Ability to make presentations and communicate articulately. Ability to base communications on strategic thinking. Ability to manage producer strategy.
- Systems and programs. Ability to use systems and software programs needed to conduct daily business.
KEY OBJECTIVE: Under supervision, primary responsibility is to underwrite individual risks.
MAJOR DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES: Duties may include but are not limited to: a. Solicits new and renewal submissions from brokers
- Manages the underwriting process by utilizing a broad range of financial expertise, industry knowledge, and business acumen. Drives the dual underwriting process by providing intelligent, well thought out recommendations.
- Has an acute awareness of industry trends and external economic factors, and extrapolates what the impact of such trends and factors will be on our business and our customers’ business. Changes tactics or strategies to reflect such trends.
- Establishes the Company’s presence in assigned territories via relationship building with both internal and external customers, and by providing superior service to both internal and external customers.
- Proven source of new business opportunities given strong underwriting skills and understanding of Chubb’s appetite.
- Demonstrates independent decision making, and has demonstrated leadership qualities.
- Provides advice regarding industry knowledge to internal and external constituents, and is recognized as a trusted advisor by agents and customers.
- Takes responsibility for the fulfillment of department goals established for profit, service, and relationship management with branches, home office, producers, accounts, competitors and other Chubb departments.
- Uses discipline and available underwriting and pricing tools to reduce risk profileacross a wide spectrum of business, and to manage costs in order to meet targeted profitability metrics.
- 3-5 years underwriting experience
- Experience underwriting Surety lines of insurance
- Bachelor's degree
- Knowledge of insurance industry
- Knowledge of underwriting concepts, practices, and procedures
- Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Internet usage
- Oral and written communication skills
- Negotiation skills
- Marketing skills
- Basic leadership skills
Chubb strives to offer a diverse and inclusive and rewarding work environment. Teamwork and mutual respect are central to how Chubb operates and we believe the best solutions draw upon diverse perspectives, experiences and skills. We operate in such a way where everyone, regardless of their singular background has the opportunity to contribute to our collective success.
At Chubb, we are committed to equal employment opportunity and compliance with all laws and regulations pertaining to it. Our policy is to provide employment, training, compensation, promotion, and other conditions or opportunities of employment, without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, ancestry, mental and physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, military and veteran status, age, and pregnancy or any other characteristic protected by law. Performance and qualifications are the only basis upon which we hire, assign, promote, compensate, develop and retain employees. Chubb prohibits all unlawful discrimination, harassment and retaliation against any individual who reports discrimination or harassment.
- Actuarial Science
- Business Development
- Business Relationship Management
- Claim Processing
- Commercial Awareness